My first case competition: Swiffer, anyone?

I am still deciding on my MBA concentration. So far, marketing looks like my favorite one. With an IT background, it is hard to build up a resume showing marketing experience. I assume many of us are in the same situation, so I would suggest to use the opportunities offered at Fisher.  This week I participated in my first case competition: P&G Case Competition. It was a two day event, 9 teams ready to give their best. Big was my surprise when the case was about a product called Swiffer. This is one of the curious facts about being an international student: some popular products in the U.S may be completely unknown to you. So I had never heard about Swiffer or even tried one. It is a cleaning product that is very successful in the U.S and “created” a whole new category of products. The challenge: Prepare a case and presentation with recommendations to increase the sales of Swiffer up to 2 billion dollars by 2020 (increasing market penetration and loyalty).

First, the P&G staff presented the case and shared with us some important facts about Swiffer. Immediately,  we had to meet with our teams during 4 hours and prepare the presentation. The next day each team presented the case to a jury of top Fisher professors and P&G brand managers.  The case competition required hard work but it was also a lot of fun. I think all the teams did a great job, amazing ideas were presented, and you can tell everyone was very passionate. I really feel the experience helped me a lot in understanding what a marketing career is about. In addition, I had the chance to practice my speech, teamwork and creative side. My team did not win but I feel very proud of our work. Congratulations to the winning team!

This was my first case competition, and I enjoyed it. In January will be the internal Fisher Case Competition – if you’re a current MBA student, I highly recommend you participate!