Tales from “the Married Couple”… Part One

Everyone we know thinks we’re crazy.

A little background is in order. Three years ago we set out on a five year plan for my husband Joe to go to law school and get an MBA. He moved to another city and we lived apart while he was in law school. It was tough, but we made it through. He graduated in May, took the Bar Exam in July, and found out that he passed the Bar a few weeks ago!

This past November my husband called me up and said those 5 words that always make me nuts: “I have a crazy idea…”

“…why don’t we go to do the MBA together?”

I was a little surprised, to say the least. The plan was always for him to go first, and for me to get my MBA in a few years. Joe had a good theory, though: we had just spent three years apart, so it would be a good chance for us to reconnect and was I really going to go back to school in five years? I had a good career going already, so this might be my only chance. So we applied, and Fisher accepted us.

So far it’s working out pretty well. Since all the first year students have the same classes, I have a built in study partner in addition to my Core Team. We use each other’s strengths, like Economics for him this quarter, and Operations for me next quarter. We have the same schedule two days a week and we survived mid-terms together. We haven’t strangled each other yet, so we must be doing something right!

We’ll keep you up to date on how it’s going, but for now it’s just been a lot of fun to go to school with my best friend. For anyone considering the same crazy idea, take it seriously. It’s an experience we’re sharing that we’ll never forget.

1 Response to “Tales from “the Married Couple”… Part One”

1. 1 Wes Lin November 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm

What a great idea!

Best of luck to you two!