Surviving the WPBMA Program: Part II

How Not to Gain the “WPMBA 15″

I am an avid exerciser.  Despite not playing any sports in high school, my exercise habit started up fast and strong upon moving into my dorm freshman year of college.  I was determined not to gain the feared “freshman 15”, so easily brought on by late night pizza and free ice cream in the commons (not to mention the partying…).  I started working out on the elliptical and lifting weights, which lead to running, and both increased in frequency and duration over my 5 years of undergrad.  And that continued post-graduation, as I got used to my new work schedule and its demands.  Exercise had become a part of my life, something I did without question.

That is, until I started the WPMBA program this past summer.  For the first time since 2002, I had to question whether I would be able to fit exercise into a 40+ hour work, 8 hour class, and umpteen hour study week.  But I was determined to try.  Before beginning the program, I typically worked out in the evenings after work – it gives me the energy to make it through the rest of the evening, and doesn’t leave me as time constrained as working out in the morning before work.  However, having class two nights a week obviously made those evening workouts a thing of the past.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I would either have to work out in the morning, or skip it all together.  And what about Mondays and Wednesdays?  And the weekend?  For the first time in many years, making the time to exercise was not a given.

Ultimately, I decided that the key for me to survive the WPMBA program and not gain the “WPMBA 15” was to compromise.  Instead of cutting out exercise completely or driving myself crazy trying to fit it in, I made a point to fit it in most days of the week – but not all.  Usually I go to the gym one early morning before work, but not the other.  And I teach a spinning class on Monday nights, so that makes Mondays a given.  Most other days of the week I plan to go to the gym, maybe skipping a day here and there.  It works for me – I can keep my energy up without compromising too much sleep or schoolwork or work work.   What’s important is that you find the balance that works for you – and maybe that means not exercising at all.  But I would be willing to bet that if you find a way to work it into your life on a somewhat consistent basis, you’ll find that surviving the program becomes just a little bit easier.  Every little bit helps!

Running Shoes = Sanity!