Last Friday, Ohio State was honored to have Bob McDonald, CEO of Proctor & Gamble, stop by to talk to us about his vision for the company & for Ohio State. President Gordon Gee introduced him to the audience, after having given McDonald and several others a tour around the OSU campus. President Gee discussed the various ways that P&G and OSU could work together to accomplish shared goals, which were built around the P&G motto of “Touching Lives, Improving Life.” Some of the quoted common goals included an increased focus on sustainability and constantly innovating through research and development.
I figured (correctly) that Bob McDonald would use many inspirational quotes during his speech. I wrote down the best of the inspirational quotes so that people who didn’t make it to the event could still soak in some of that CEO wisdom. Also I took a picture.
1. “Make us choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.” – line from the Cadet Prayer. Bob McDonald attended college at the U.S. Military Academy at Westpoint.
2. “Sustainability is not just a responsibility but an opportunity.” – Bob McDonald on how P&G can make a profit from going green.
3. “One must do well to do good, & must do good to do well.” – Bob McDonald on purpose leading to profit.
4. “Give me a lever large enough & I will move the world.” – Archimedes. Not really sure what this was in reference to, but it sounded good and I assume it fit in the context of what Bob was talking about at the time.
5. “Always limit blog lists to five items or less.” – Me on how itemized lists get increasingly boring the longer they go.