A worry lost forever … a lesson from Summit Vision

High on a pole, about 30 ft, you see friends making sure they have their grips on, ready to hold you and lower you gently to the ground so you don’t fall and injure yourself. In the event you are about to fall, a hand grabs you to help you stay on your feet; when the strength within you wavers, they cheer you up to go beyond your limit regardless of your race or skin color.

From the Kotoka International Airport, Ghana, I flew to a place I have never been. Tired and weary, I arrived safely in the United States.

In a room with of over 75 students I could not locate an “image” of myself; I was the only African present. I asked myself many questions: “How am I going to survive? Is this the right decision? Or should I have just stayed in Ghana?” Lifting my head and looking across the room, my thoughts were dismissed with the gleaming smiles from my colleagues. All I could see were wonderful people who wanted to know more about you and your passions, people who rather admired you for taking that bold step out of your comfort zone to take on the challenge of being in a new environment. I then realized that my self-imposed worries started to fade.

A day after, I smile knowing that my worries are long gone. Having different people, from different backgrounds, races, etc. willing to help you accomplish a dream was extremely overwhelming in a positive way. At Summit Vision (part of MAcc orientation, outdoors high ropes courses that helped us develop problem solving abilities and working in groups, etc.), I imagined I was back home in Ghana but then I appreciated that fact that I was, in fact, in Columbus (US) and not Anyaa (Ghana).

At Summit vision... Team 4 in Spanish

On the top of a pole, about 30 ft, I relived my vision from the first day of orientation – White or black; Asian, African, European, American; we are one and together we can make it.

Author: Nii Ankrah

I was born in Accra, Ghana on April 6th, 1987. I lived in Accra most of the days of my life till i moved to the USA to further my studies in August 2011 at the age of 24. I had my high school education in Pope John Senior High School and Junior Seminary, Ghana (2002-2005). I then undertook my undergraduate studies (Bsc. Administration - Accounting Option) at the University of Ghana Business School (2006-2010). Moving on to PwC-Ghana, i worked as an audit trainee for a year after which i enrolled in Ohio State University - Fisher College of Business to pursue a Masters degree in Accounting (MAcc). My objective is to build a career in forensic accounting. I will be joining Ernst and Young's fraud investigation and dispute services department (Cleveland office) in Fall 2012.