Shifting from First to Second

School started last week and it’s off to the races for all of us here at the Fisher College of Business (FCOB).  I’m officially a second-year MBA which means I only have a few more months (eight to be exact) to take advantage of all that the MBA program offers its full-time students.  The only solution for me?  Approach it with reckless abandon!

First, to quickly recap summer: it was very busy.  All work and no play makes Eve a dull girl so I opted to book a getaway for winter break.  Gives me something to really look forward to before ending 2011.

Shifting from being a first-year to a second-year happened quickly and almost unknowingly.  All of a sudden, summer is gone and the new class of full-time MBAs has arrived.  I find it interesting to see the variety of personalities that will be joining us in the program this year.  I can’t help reflecting on my experience last year – all the emotions that I felt as I started the journey.  I am amazed at how much I learned during the first year of the MBA program. It all seems so easy now that we’ve learned to speak the local FCOB language and know who to contact for information.  One thing seems paramount: balance is key to just about everything.  It is important to stay on top of your work and not fall behind… and on top of your calendar so you don’t miss important appointments and deadlines.  There is so much to learn, to see, and to do that it often feels overwhelming.  I watch the members of the class of 2013 and smile as they begin their initial lap.

With the core curriculum far behind, we second-years (class of 2012) get to choose all of our classes this year.  My fall class schedule is relatively full; I’m taking five classes, one of them is only scheduled the first half of the quarter.  Five classes means that I am on five different teams this quarter.  I can only imagine how “fun” it will be scheduling meetings.  I suspect that will be one of the biggest challenges – coordinating work streams and calendars.  I had my fair share of last minute presentations last year . . . needless to say, I am all about working ahead of schedule as much as humanly possible.  **fingers crossed**

To accomplish everything I hope to accomplish this year, I’m going to need a lot of help.  For that, I’m targeting the class of 2013.  I will be actively recruiting individuals to assist with a couple of large events happening in winter (the Women’s Summit) and spring quarter (Innovate Columbus 2012).  The Fisher Graduate Student Organizations will be holding their first meetings of the year this week and next.  My advice to all considering b-school: check out what organizations exist at the schools you are targeting.  Student life involves more than just hitting the books.  Taking on leadership roles and getting involved in the local community are just as important.  When you visit campus and meet current students, find out what they are involved in and what fuels them in addition to their studies.  The legacy you leave isn’t determined by your GPA.

You can’t leave a footprint that lasts if you’re always walking on tiptoe.  – Marion C Blakey

1 Response to “Shifting from First to Second”

1. 1 Abhay Prasanna September 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Splendid post, loved that quote! Have a great year ahead!