2011 Arnold Sports Festival

On a wet and rainy Friday in Columbus, it’s difficult to find something to do other than watch re-runs of CSI and Law & Order: SVU on television.  So instead of camping out in front of the TV, my roommate and I decided to hit up the Arnolds Sports Festival at the convention center in Downtown Columbus.

The Arnold Fitness Expo is the nation’s largest health and fitness exposition.  It annually showcases the latest in sports equipment, apparel and nutrition as well as the latest trends in the health and wellness industry.  The EXPO stage hosts the Arnold Strongman Classic and the prejudging for the Ms. International, Fitness International and Figure International Competition.  It also held the Arnold Armwrestling competition which was very entertaining to watch.

I was really amazed to see how many people attended this weekend event.  At times, it was difficult to navigate to each booth because of large masses of people who were crowding around certain boothes.  The most interesting booth was MuscleTech.  It reminded me of the old school MTV Spring Break in Cancun episodes – that is, model-esque women with microphones pumping up the small crowd of college-aged men  and throwing out t-shirts and sports nutrition samples.

I defintely had a great time seeing the latest in sports science and nutrition.  I even managed to see Arnold Schwartzenegger HIMSELF, along with Olympic Gold Medal Winner and WWE wrestling personality, Kurt Engle and MMA superstar Randy Couture.  My only regret is that I missed out on seeing Baltimore Ravens Linebacker, Ray Lewis.  I’m a big NFL fan so that would’ve been very cool to get my picture with him.  I guess there is always next year.

With all things considered, the Arnold Sports Festival is a great annual event to attend if you are passionate about sports, nutrition, bodybuilding and even are into swimsuit contests.

3 Responses to “2011 Arnold Sports Festival”

1. 1 Garren Cabral March 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Why didn’t you buy me any dieting pills?

2. 2 Julia Tikhonova March 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I worked at the Arnold classic Saturday and Sunday for 12-14 hours as a fencing referee for the fencing competition. Also met with Arnold Schwarzeneger and shaked his hand:)) a lot of fun :))

3. 3 Eric J Dosch March 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

yes, i got to see Kurt Engle. but thats nothing compared to Arnold. I was 10 ft from him but no hand shaking. I’m jealous. Maybe next year :)