Schadenfreude

One of the reasons I think vampire series are so popular lately is because we see so much of our humanity visually depicted in imaginary characters, including witches and werewolves.  Whether you’re Team Edward or Team Jacob . . . or rather, like me, are clueless about Twilight yet find yourself obsessed with the brothers Salvatore (my guilty pleasure = The Vampire Diaries), there’s something about the struggle between good and evil that each of us can identify with.

My belief: B-school has a way of bringing out the best and the worst in all of us.  Some folks use a lot of smoke & mirrors.  You know the type: they put on the charade that they’ve got everything together and that all things work in their favor.  Yeah?  Bologna.  No one leads such a charmed life.  We each bear burdens.  Anyone that tells you different is either a crazy person or a liar.  As humans, none of us are perfect and that’s perfectly OK.  Remember: without contrast, those low times in life, we’d never be able to appreciate our highs or know when something is really good.

Fisher is an intimate community.  Sometimes I find it really hard to happily coexist with the “together” people day after day, week after week. Q: Why is it that I long for the moment I see a chink in their armor?  A: Why are reality shows so popular?  Why, as a society, do we love to see others screw up?  I think it’s because we seek things that are similar to ourselves.  It makes us feel better to know we’re not the only ones that struggle . . . and that struggling is normal.  Is that bringing out the best is us?  Probably not.

As I ponder all these questions of “why”, it dawns on me that even Superman and Batman had to contend with having a good side and a dark side.  If they couldn’t escape it, what chance do I have?  I’m certainly no Jedi knight.

The epic battle of my “good” self vs my “evil” self rages on during this season of job hunting . . . and here I stand without a cape.

“Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”  – Mark Twain

4 Responses to “Schadenfreude”

1. 1 Reno February 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

This is soooo True. You can not know good without evil. If everyone was good or perfect, we would not know that because we would not have imperfect to show us what perfect was

2. 2 Michelle February 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

To quote Edna Mode from “The Incredibles”
    “No capes!…Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids…November 15th of ’58! All was well, another day saved, when… his cape snagged on a missile fin!…Stratogale! April 23rd, ’57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!…Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex! [shouts]No capes!”

If you haven’t seen the movie, well…the cape is just another prop which can prove to be a fatal flaw. You don’t need one and it is better that you don’t have one! You are authentic and fantastic and I totally appreciate your slightly Eeevil side! :)

3. 3 Eve February 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

@Reno Thanks for the comment. Sometimes it’s hard to remember esp when things are not good. “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran makes the contrast more eloquently than I ever could. I highly recommend it if you’re not familiar with it.

@Michelle I *love* Edna. She made the movie! Her words resounded in my head as I typed. Wonder Woman didn’t have a cape either… maybe I have an invisible jet lying around the place somewhere and just haven’t run into it yet. ;)

4. 4 Wolver Een February 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I liked your previous posts.
    I did not like this one. You’re venting, that’s understandable. But you’re bitter. You should not be. Whether in grad school or in the real world (and btw, grad school is nothing but a microcosm of the real world), there will be people and their facades, fake superheroes wearing their fake capes. Very few have it “together”, and if they did, they would not be in grad school… only some fake it better than others. I can’t think of any appropriate Al-Mustafa or Twain quotes, so I’ll leave you with one from Sally “Most women at one time or another have… It’s just that all men are sure it never happened to them and that most women at one time or another have done it so you do the math.”