Fisher Winter Games – MAcc Edition

The annual Fisher Winter Games took place this past Friday, and although I did not personally participate, I sure am glad I came to watch, as it was extremely entertaining. Basically, the Fisher Games were a series of 3 team sports – Basketball, Volleyball, and Dodge ball – in which various teams made of Fisher College of Business students (and faculty/staff) competed. There were teams from all the major programs, but obviously I came to see how the MAcc teams fared. I even made it early enough to get one of the extra shirts that were sported by the MAcc participants with the more or less team name of the day: Bad Assets.

The first competition was Basketball, and I have to say, I was really impressed with how well our MAcc teams played. Some of the participants play Basketball, and Soccer for that matter, every week in the Graduate student league of intramural sports at OSU, so I suppose it shouldn’t have been a surprise that they could actually handle themselves on the court. Regardless of which teams won and which ones lost, they were all good games and it was intense to even just be on the sidelines. Here is an action shot from one of the MAcc vs. MAcc games:

The next sport was Volleyball, and although I was not able to stick around and watch all of the matches, I heard that it was just as entertaining as the other events of the day. However, I personally felt that the most exciting event of the games was the third and final competition: Dodge ball.

Getting ready for dodge ball.

Honestly, it was great seeing my fellow MAcc students, the other students at Fisher, even the faculty… how do I put this… pummeling each other with straight up, good ol’ fashion dodge ball fury. I think purely because of the fact that the intent of the game is to hit each other (usually as hard as possible so they can’t catch the ball), this was by far the most intense event of the day. People were treating the dodge ball matches like a battle to the death. It was especially rough to watch when some teams were oddly superior (I mean, how do you get that good at a sport that most people haven’t played since elementary school?) I suppose some people are just naturals at the art that is dodge ball, but regardless of the winning teams in the end, it was highly entertaining. It’s almost a shame that the MAcc program here is only one year because that means we’ll never get a re-match. I guess that means it’ll be up to future generations of MAcc students (maybe someone reading this?) to always defend the MAcc pride and potentially carry on the “Bad Assets” name.

Some of the MAcc participants of the day.

Thanks to Lilia for these pictures!

Tyler