Hard to believe … quarter 4 of 6 is almost over!

It’s the last week of classes again… it’s pretty astonishing to think that this is the fourth time our class has finished a quarter!

I remember listening to the second year students last year – they promised that the second year of the program was easier than the first. After the first quarter of my second year, I’m pretty sure they were all playing a trick on us – it hasn’t gotten much easier!

In fact, time-management is even more critical now! It’s a balance of doing well in classes, performing research on companies, interviewing, making time for friends & family, and, for me at least, a fair amount of introspection.

I think it’s important for each of us to take time to be alone, and do a “health check” on ourselves. Some of the things I recommend thinking about are:

• What are your priorities?
    • job search? grades? spending time with family? something else?
  • What are your values?
    • loyalty? honesty? integrity? earning trust? being there for people?
  • What are you NOT willing to compromise on? I find this especially critical when the job search heats up…
    • Will you work in any industry? Is corporate social responsibility important to you? Sustainability? Do you care if a company gives back to the community?
  • What drives you?
    • Money? Power? Recognition? Feeling safe and secure (cultural fit)? A personal mission?
  • How can you give back?
    • This is key… think about it… all of us are very lucky to have gotten to this stage, and I would find it very surprising if no one, at any point in time, gave you a chance or a leg up. I understand that many of us will not have the financial ability to make donations to causes right away, but I think time and effort are extremely valuable gifts.
  • What are your areas for personal growth?
    • Be honest with yourself. Are you a good friend? A good family member? Can you be relied upon? Do people feel comfortable with you? If you had to write your obituary today, what would you want it to say? What actions do you need to take, starting today, to make that happen?

Enough philosophical thoughts for the day. I wish all students the BEST of luck studying for finals, writing papers and presentations, and preparing for anything else they have coming up in the next week! You can do it.

Stacey