Lighten the Load

It has been far too long since I’ve posted my last blog.  The past couple of weeks have been a mix of the normal school work stress and internship search, with a broken computer and a few days of sickness thrown in for good measure.  The good news is that much if the semester stress is coming to a close with the approach of the end of the quarter.  Many of the largest projects are completed and I only have one presentation left and a few exams.

The best news is that I accepted an internship offer with ExxonMobil for next summer which really takes a lot of stress away from the remaining quarter and will allow me to focus more on school work.  The combination of the job search and class made me feel as though I was never quite caught up on anything.

The experience with ExxonMobil has been positive so far.  After receiving the offer, they flew myself and a few other classmates who had offers down to Houston to attend a couple of networking events and what was really an extended info session, similar to what we all have experienced here on campus.  It is somewhat embarrassing to admit, but this was only the second time that I have been on a commercial airplane.  As I’ve hinted at in previous posts, I did not grow up with much money so if we couldn’t drive there, we didn’t go.  The body scanners that are currently in the news so much were in place in Houston, and to a lesser extent, in Columbus.  All but one of the group, including myself, had to go through them.  I was not comfortable with it, or happy about it, but once you are in line you don’t have much of a choice.

As for Houston itself, overall my impression was good.  While driving from the airport to the hotel there was a torrential downpour which flooded the expressway, but shortly after the rain stopped and it was nice the rest of my time there.  It was nice to be in 75-80 degree weather in November though.  The interesting thing is that there isn’t one downtown.  There are a few different areas in which there are skyscrapers and different business districts with a lot of areas in between that feel sort of suburban.  The great thing was, while the trip did allow me to get to know the company better and briefly experience a new city, I was able to get to know a few of my classmates that I didn’t know very well.  Spending the better part of two days with people will do that.  And the nice thing was we already had offers so a good part of the “networking to find a job” act wasn’t as necessary.

One final comment on the trip.  During the scheduled events, I was able to meet and speak with many students from other top Universities.  I’m not going to go into details about any particular thing, suffice it to say that on the whole, it made me grateful for my classmates.  As mentioned in another blog by Eric, study groups have been created to help one another with classwork and we know we can go to that group if we are having problems.  I have seen students giving interview tips to others who are going for the very same position, essentially helping their competition.  And when classes are done, students get together with the classmates they spend most of their days with to wind down at Varsity Club.  After having a glimpse into what other schools are like and how their students interact,  I know I made the right choice.

1 Response to “Lighten the Load”

1. 1 Eric J Dosch November 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm

i agree. I felt the same way when i spoke with other students from so-called top universities in the US. Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University has the best program. I definitely feel I made the right decision too