Mentor Match Up

After a longer than anticipated wait, most of us who applied for mentor matches through HRACO (Human Resources Association of Central Ohio) received our matches this week. Other applicants will receive their matches soon, too, as HRACO continues to best pair mentors with students.

I am very excited about the chance to get to know my mentor. Like internships, there is so much to be learned from professionals in the field. While we’ll all develop different relationships with our mentors, it’s recommended that we meet once a month.

I don’t hold any illusions that my mentor will set me up in the perfect job opportunity. But I can only imagine there will be countless ways she can help me with professional development: resume critique, career advice, local HR climate overview, what NOT to do, etc.

I also hope that she enjoys the mentor match as well, and looks forward to guiding a newbie through the woods. ¬†For my part, I’ll try not to ask way too many questions and pester her too much about the profession. As the year progresses, I plan to make updates about the mentorship program. In the meantime, here’s to the future!