Building a Team

I’m a little older than most of my classmates.  Not by much, but I have a few extra years of experience.  I’ve worked more than most of the people in my program, and while I probably haven’t traveled as much as many of them, I’ve been around a bit.  All that to say, the few short weeks that I have spend here in Columbus and at Fisher, I feel a bond with my classmates that I haven’t shared with anyone in a many work or academic settings.

It started during our orientation.  After spending a long day doing normal, orientation things like reading a stack of papers, awkwardly meeting your peers in a “networking” break, and other similar events, we spent the following day together creating memories as a team – the first being a tour of “The Shoe.”  Being from Michigan, I’m not unaccustomed to big sporting arenas.  However, walking around the empty stadium with a group of new students, most of whom were sharing the experience like me for the first time, was very exciting.  The highlight of our tour was “racing” with fellow blogger Eric Dosch the entire length of the field. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and whenever I watch a OSU game I will be reminded of it.

MLHR Students a The Shoe

Fisher MLHR students in The Shoe

After the tour, we moved on to the ARC for a few hours of team building activities.  I am not going to go into the details of the activities, both because they are a little difficult to explain in writing, and to keep from spoiling it for any future students who might be reading.  Suffice it to say that we had the opportunity participate in activities that allowed us to be creatively, socially, and physically active.  We became a much closer group by participating in these actives.

It is now going into the third week of classes.  We are all beginning to feel the pressure of classes, reading assignments, quizzes, getting interviews, finding internships, work, etc.  It is at the same time stressful and exciting.  However, after having the chance to spend time together building our team, I think it is safe to say we are all comfortable looking to each other for support.  We have also decided to have an unofficial “official night out” after our Thursday night class, the last class of the week.  We had our first one last week and it was a great way to continue building those bonds outside of the classroom setting.

We are all going through this together.  We are all having the same concerns and stresses, and I think we are all pulling for one another.  I am more excited for the coming two years now, having gotten to know everyone better. When preparing for, and thinking about all of the things involved in moving to start this program, I never thought about the people I would be going through it with.  Now that I have meet them, I hope we remain friends long after we graduate.

1 Response to “Building a Team”

1. 1 E Dosch October 5, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I am glad we ran the 120 yds, Kim. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!