Splendor Is Worth the Wait

When you walk into Jeni’s Ice Cream, it really is no wonder that the name is officially Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream. Splendid is not a word often used in everyday English language. I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say, “I had a splendid time at lunch with you today!” It seems a little overkill, right? Well, the company’s choice adjective to describe their ice creams is neither exaggerated nor pompous. It is not only excellent, but inventive. Just give goat cheese and with cognac fig sauce a try. If you think that sounds awful, you’d be awfully incorrect. They’ll even let you test their precious flavors, if you don’t believe me. My favorite time of year to visit is in the fall, when the seasonal flavors include heirloom pumpkin, and you can take in the sights while strolling the Short North. And in the Short North, there never seems to be a dull moment (seriously, I watched a young woman sitting in the middle of the street under an illuminated Short North arch, posing – in her wedding dress!). During Gallery Hop on Saturdays, Jeni’s draws an extended line out its door of patrons willing to wait. I was rather excited to walk right in on Friday. Though I had come in thinking I’d give one of the other flavors a chance, I ended up leaving with my old favorite, salty caramel. I’m usually the type to like ice cream with a lot of stuff in it — nuts, candy, etc — but this is so different. Each taste is worthy of being savored. And you won’t even get annoyed if the ice cream melts a little. You’ll eat every last bit.

Jeni’s is well known for their commitment to buying local. They’re participating in Local Foods Week, October 2nd through October 8th, which includes several opportunities to enjoy Jeni’s ice cream. Or you could just stop in at one of their shops in Short North, North Market, Grandview, Dublin, or Bexley. I guarantee that splendid will enter your vocabulary.

1 Response to “Splendor Is Worth the Wait”

1. 1 Rebecca Zurek October 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I LOVE JENI’s, I literally go about 3x a week!!!