My Columbus Impression

It has been four months since I came to Columbus. I want to talk about “my Columbus impression”. From the aspect of international student, I think Columbus is the best place for students from other countries to study and enjoy their student life. Thanks for the friendly people and environment in Columbus, which make me smoothly accommodate to my new life at my own pace without any stresses.

1. The right size

Columbus is the 16th largest city in the United States, with about 750,000 residents. It’s a city that is not too big and not too crowed. As Columbus people say” you can get anything you want in 20 minutes by driving”, living in Columbus is very easy and convenient. Besides, Columbus also maintains a widespread municipal bus service called the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA). Seldom can you see large crowds on the street, definitely, except for the weekends for Buckeyes’ home game.

2. The right location

Columbus is located in the central of Ohio. You can easily go to the big cities in mid-west by driving. It takes 2 hours to drive to Cleveland, 2.5 hours to Cincinnati, 3 hours to Pittsburgh and 6 hours to Chicago. If you don’t want to drive or you want to go to east or west coast, you can take airplanes at Columbus International Airport. There are many flights directly to all the big cities in the United State.

3. The right people

I got some changes to visit other places in America (Atlanta, Chicago and “Ann Arbor”). I can tell you for sure that the people in Columbus must be the friendliest ones I have ever met. When driving, they always yield the road to pedestrians and rarely honk their horns. They always wear big smiles on their faces and say hello to you enthusiastically.

4. Many cool places

If you are a big sports fan like me, Columbus is really the right place for you. For the local teams, we have Columbus Clippers (AAA baseball team), Columbus Crews (ML S), Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) and our favorite team, which you can never forget, the Buckeyes. Also, you can go to Cleveland to watch Indians (MLB) and Cavaliers (NBA) and Cincinnati for Reds (MLB) games. We have the Columbus Zoo. The polar bears are the superstars drawing a lot of traffic every day. There is still one place that I want to recommend, the North Market. The market sells all kinds of foods, meats, vegetables and handcrafts. You would be first attracted by the ancient style building and then fascinated with the aura inside it.

5. Many interesting events and fairs

I went to the Red, White & Boom this summer in downtown Columbus, which is the biggest annual firework show in Ohio and one of the biggest in the country. I also went to The Ohio State Fair. There are many food vendors, a very big grocery and handcraft market and the cable car, which could bring you across the fair center.

I was so lucky to choose Fisher MBA. It’s really a nice place for me to pursue my MBA degree while enjoying my American life at the same time.

1 Response to “My Columbus Impression”

1. 1 Ha Dang October 2, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Very inspiring article about Columbus! I would definitely explore it out soon :-)