Most Valuable Resources

Time, time, time, see what’s become of me… while I looked around for my possibilities.  I was so hard to please.  Look around, leaves are brown and the sky is a hazy shade of winter.      – Simon & Garfunkel

Don’t worry: it’s a gray day but no sign of winter.  It’s officially fall, week two is in full swing, and I have yet to find my groove.  Assignments, applications, and deadlines are fast and furious.  I am doing my best to stay on top of things but it feels like I’m chasing them down before tackling them.  With concerted effort, I know I can find my rhythm.  The key is to streamline my efforts.

Everyone has different goals for their MBA experience.  Believing that opportunities are limitless, I want to maximize my potential outside of the classroom just as much as I want to succeed in class.  THE PLAN: load my schedule to the fullest extent possible without severely compromising academic performance.  Visually translated:

My two most valuable resources: TIME and ENERGY

There are only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in each week.  At face value, no one person has an advantage over another; we each have the same amount.  What sets one person apart from the rest?  Utilization.  Spend time wisely and you can maximize results and broaden your experiences.  Being efficient (doing things right) is good . . . but being effective (doing the right things) is better.

My team is enabling me to maximize my activities.  I can tell they will be a great support system.  Like most other teams, we’re “chomping at the bit” to get started on group assignments.  That said, we’re not meeting for the sake of meeting.  We’ve opted for a strategic approach and acknowledge the need to use each other’s time wisely.  Patience is a virtue . . . we’ll have significant quality time together soon enough.

Many applications for student groups are due this week.  Additionally, I started my Graduate Assistantship with the Leadership & Professional Development Office.  Thursday evening, I make my way to Louisville, KY for the National Association of Women MBA’s (NAWMBA) Conference.  The Fisher College of Business is the host for this year’s event and I’m fortunate to be volunteering while I’m there.  Before I depart, I need to update my resume and continue to practice networking and interviewing.  Several intern opportunities are available at the companies attending the conference.  Interview fact: you can never be too prepared!

Want to be memorable?  Tell your story.