From Michigan to Ohio

“Not Ann Arbor.”

That has become the standard answer that I give to one of the first questions asked when meeting new people.  Starting life at a new university and a new job, in a new city, “where are you from?” is one of the most common introductory questions.  In Columbus, Michigan definitely isn’t an answer most people like hearing.  I, however, am not from Ann Arbor, nor did I attend the University of Michigan at any point in my academic career.

Of course, the students of The Ohio State University aren’t alone.  That’s what makes the rivalry so exciting, right?  When deciding on which university to attend for graduate school, the only people in Michigan excited for me to come here were transplants from Ohio.  This puts me between a rock and a hard place.  I get booed in Columbus when I tell people I’m from Michigan, and I get booed in Michigan when I tell people I am going to school here.

So far it has all been in good fun and I have meet some great people in the few weeks I have lived in Columbus.  I have also found a classmate from Michigan, so I am not totally alone.  In the end, I’m glad I chose to come here and I am excited for the start of classes this week.  I’m also excited to go to my first football game to watch Ohio State vs. Eastern Michigan, the university where I earned my undergrad degree.  It should be an easy win for the Buckeyes since I could probably count on one hand the number of wins EMU had during my four years there.

Picture of the Day

Starting with my post next week, I will be adding one picture for everyday of the week to help document my first year in the MLHR program.  For prospective students, friends, family, and classmates reading my blog, I hope it gives a better idea of what it is like as a new Grad student at the Fisher College of Business.