Officially Almost Complete

Well, now that I finally have Internet back, I figured I would get a good post in before things got really busy this weekend. Since my last post, I have moved, started a new job and this Saturday will be my last day at my job of 3 1/2 years. Sad face. But, as with everything else, all good things must come to an end.

So, my first day at GE – well, my first two days. They were fairly uneventful. I did a lot of safety training – A LOT! The other CO-OP, Rana, took me on a tour of the plant. She said it was like the blind leading the blind because she had only been there a week. It was really interesting, though. I’ve never been in an industry setting, much less a union setting. There is definitely a very unique culture. The vast majority of employees have been working there for 30 years or so, and then a small percentage were hired within the last two years. It’s just a very different vibe from the two sets of employees. On Tuesday, I got to see the production of black lights. Apparently GE only produces them once a year, and I was lucky enough to be there. It’s really awesome. I’ll try and take some pictures, but I’m not sure that would fly, because of proprietary information, etc, but I’ll see what I can do. For now, I do have a picture of my 50 minute drive to Bucyrus on my first day. It’s a nice drive, and very scenic, but very long.

My drive to work - country roads, take me home...

I know, not safe to take pictures while driving, but at least I stopped. I figured there was no one coming either direction so it was ok.

Next week should be more exciting. I’ll get into the training of how to set up job postings and manage them, and schedule people for interviews and do phone interviews, etc.

I also moved into my new apartment over the weekend. Again, more pictures to come, but I do have pictures of my new bed and dresser. :) It’s a great apartment. Internet was installed yesterday, I finally have my mailbox keys, and even though we’re next to a train track, it’s very quiet. We can’t even hear the next door dog barking all of the time. I feel like he barks at his shadow. Oh well. Once we have more stuff unpacked, I’ll take pictures and post them.

In wedding world, my bachelorette party is this weekend, on Sunday. Should be fun. My sister is planning it. It’s weird to think my wedding is >>9!!!!<< days away! That’s crazy. Mostly everything is done, just small stuff now. We met with the DJ and our caterer to confirm everything, the honeymoon hotel is confirmed, and we should be set. Now we just have to make a list of everything we need to remember for the honeymoon so that we don’t forget something important…like a camera.

Tonight is our MHR 854 final. Thank goodness. I’m worn out due to having to remember everything at once, and it will be so much better to be able to be done with this school year. So far the grades that have come in are looking pretty good – no final grades yet, but an A- on the 854 project, a B+ on the 856 final, and who knows about 865. I’ll just be glad to be done with this quarter. It’s been rough.

For now, I’m off to study and get lunch. A shout out to Rob Chabot, the fearless leader of the My Fisher Grad Life Bloggers. He sent me a really nice email, and I am officially signed up to continue blogging through the summer and next school year. So, be on the lookout for more shenanigans being broadcast to the world.

Congratulations to everyone who is graduating this weekend. Be safe on senior crawl tonight!

~Amanda