Potpourri

Hello everyone. It’s been several weeks since my last blog post and as you may or may not have noticed, they have been few and far between in general. If you check the full-time MBA posts, you’ll see that everyone has slowed in their posts. Spring quarter is a bear.

Classes alone would be challenging. Add in my responsibilities with Fisher Graduate Student Association, Fisher Professional Services, and my travels over this quarter, and it becomes nearly intolerable.

There are several mostly unrelated things I would like to convey (many with photos!):

• Fisher Follies – Every year, the graduate school community at the Fisher College of Business takes a minute to make fun of itself, all in good fun. I participated in two videos (cameo in one, starring in the other) and also one live skit. I also debuted my beardless face (don’t worry, it already has grown back) to the Fisher community. By far, one of the funniest nights of my life and hosted in the beautiful new Ohio Union. Here’s a link to one of the videos – amazing work considering we are all business students not film producers: Fisher Sabotage.
  • Fisher Formal – Each quarter, the Fisher Graduate Social Chairs plan and host a large social event. In the fall quarter, this generally is the Halloween celebration. In the spring, this is the Fisher Formal, which is essentially prom for graduate students. Even though it was before Memorial Day, I still decided white was acceptable:

• UTSAV -Every year, the Indian MBA Association at the Fisher College of Business holds a large, spring event called UTSAV. UTSAV is a celebration of all things Indian and includes dancing, a fashion show, and delicious Indian cuisine. It was good fun and I had the opportunity to participate in the fashion show (along with several others students and faculty, including Dean Karen Wruck!):

• Dean Wruck – Fisher Graduate Student Association had their second meeting of the quarter with Dean Karen Wruck. FGSA has been working to improve already good relations with the college administration, and has been able to drive changes that positively affect student life. Highlights of recent meetings and activities can be found here.
  • Orlando – As part of Fisher Professional Services and the Global Summer Fellowship (GSF) program, I had the opportunity to travel to Orlando. The trip was focused on one of the projects for GSF, business development for FPS, and building alumni relations in central Florida. Activities included volunteering with Junior Achievement on Friday, visiting Disney World on Wednesday and Friday, and playing in an alumni golf tournament on Saturday. The Ohio State Alumni Club of Central Florida welcomed us to their third annual Buckeye Classic at Orange County National’s Crooked Cat course. On our final night we ate at Havana’s Cuban Cafe – which was some of the best food I have ever eaten. I highly recommend trying it if you are in the area. It was a great trip with a great group of people representing the Fisher College of Business well!

• Dean Poon – A small group of Fisher Professional Services members had the opportunity to meet and discuss the future of FPS with Dean Christine Poon. The discussion was largely centered on the recent addition of undergraduate students to FPS’ talented pool of members. This is one of the great things about Fisher – faculty and staff are very accessible and interested in staying in touch with students.
  • MBA820 Group Project Presentation – Quite possibly one of the highlights of the quarter, our team of eight chose to do something creative and entertaining for our final presentation. Our instructor, Prof. Kistruck encouraged such behavior, saying these presentations should be entertaining while delivering content. We chose to do a mock case interview in Kistruck-esque style, including poking fun at several of our classmates. All reviews so far have been positive, with most people saying they don’t remember any of the content because they were laughing so hard. Whoops.
  • FPS Gala – For the first time, Fisher Professional Services hosted a celebration of the past year’s successes. In addition to FPS members, several members of the local and national consulting community were present to join in the celebration. Several awards were presented and the outgoing leadership were thanked for all their hard work over the past year.

• Grilling Out aka Spring – After the seemingly never-ending Ohio winter, it’s finally consistently nice here in central Ohio. With that comes many great things, including good old fashioned cookouts. It was nice this past Friday to sit down with some classmates at Fisher Commons, light some charcoal, and just enjoy good weather and good company.
  • Dirty Franks – After hearing great reviews, I decided rekindle my love of a good hot dog and test out Dirty Frank’s Hot Dog Palace. I tried the Chicago Dog, Ohiana, and the Dog from Hell along with their supposedly to-die-for french fries. While the food was decent, I was underwhelmed especially compared to all the hype. If you truly like a good hot dog, I would recommend Famous Franks over Dirty Franks any day. Feel free to disagree…try it out for yourself.

Well, that’s about all for now. Hopefully I’ll squeeze out a few more posts before the end of the year, and maybe even have the opportunity to write during my summer stay in Hong Kong. Finis.