What do you say to Taking Chances?

Oh, this weekend…It was a blast in many, many different ways. Friday was Summit Vision, and as promised, pictures are below. Immediately after getting back to campus, I left for Fort Wayne, Indiana for the Vera Bradley Outlet Sale. Yes, I’m one of those. Sunday was a chance to relax and then start studying for our 854 exam.

Summit Vision was fun. We were split up into 4 groups of 7 or so students each. My group started off with the highest challenge of the day – the zip line. That platform is at least 40 feet in the air. For a person who’s afraid of heights, aka me, this was a very nerve-wracking way to start the day. The worst part wasn’t climbing up the pole to the top with staples for the thing to climb on, no…the worst part was going second to last and every time someone jumped off the entire platform shook horribly. That was awful. My heart is racing just a little bit just thinking about it. Our next challenge was the Integrity walk. Each of us had a 2 foot long section of a 4″x4″. We had to walk only on these boards a distance of about thirty feet. If a board wasn’t being touched by at least one person at all times, we lost the board. A lesson we learned very early on. Woops… But, after invading everyone’s personal space, we made it the distance, and Jacob, our leader said it was the best he’s seen. No one fell off, we didn’t have to start over, so kudos to us! Our third challenge was recreating a picture which had a bunch of 2″x2″ boards connected together, to make a geometric shape, in under 40 seconds. This was challenging. I’m pretty sure the most frustrating, too. But after much deliberation, we managed to go from over 5 minutes to 27 seconds! Patient Persistence! <— See Dr. Mangum, I did learn something! Our final challenge was the giant swing. It wasn’t as high as the zip line, but just as scary. Instead of scooting off the platform, you have to just step off to the side. Instead of the other analogy I was going to use, I’ll just compare it to stepping off the side of a pool into the water – except 30 feet in the air. It was a lot of fun though. Check out my facebook profile picture if you’re interested.

And then the Vera Bradley Sale…6:30 in the morning is too early to stand in line for 2 hours in the rain. But, we found some amazing deals. Karen, my friend I grew up with, and I went dumpster diving into these bins which were the ‘rejects’ from the people checking out, and ended up finding everything our moms wanted. That was successful. We bartered with a woman for about 20 minutes to snag some super totes from her. She had at least thirty – I think it was ok that she gave up 3. Insane. Pictures are below of the lines to get in, people as they came out then the line we had to stand in to check out. It was crazier than Walmart on the day after Thanksgiving.

The final adventure of the weekend was making the window swags for my church. They turned out beautifully! I’m so happy with them.

So – lesson for the weekend – take chances. You’ll probably never again have the opportunity to do what you could do at this moment. Throw a little bit of caution to the wind and allow yourself to grow! Enjoy the pictures, and I hope your Monday isn’t too manic!