Enhancing Professional Interchange

On Tuesday, in EPI (Enhancing Professional Interchange), I gave my first speech of the quarter. This was a persuasive speech and could be no longer than two and a half minutes. I chose the Body-for-LIFE® program as my subject. (I blogged about the Body-for-LIFE program and all of its great benefits in my first blog, so if you need additional information, check it out.)

dumbbell

The problem was condensing all of this information into a short speech. We had to come up with three points and each point needed to be extensive enough to get the message across, but concise enough to stay within the time limit.

I wanted to start out my speech with data on heart disease in the United States today. I wanted to throw out that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and that the two leading causes of heart disease are inactivity and obesity. According to the CDC, an estimated $304.6 billion would be spent on heart disease in 2009. (For all of you in Cost Accounting, this amount did factor in the opportunity costs!)

Well, I veered off track from the beginning, as I was not using note cards, and decided to go with the “New Year’s Resolution” approach instead. I asked the class – “Who made a resolution to get in better shape this year?” and then followed it up with- “Who thinks they don’t have time to get in better shape?”.  This method worked, as it allowed for class interaction, but I wish I could have included a bit of data about heart disease as well. Scare tactics are a good means of persuasion (borderline coercion though).

My three points were as follows:

1. The cardiovascular portion of the program- the 20-Minute Aerobics Solution®- is brief, but gets the job done. It is only 20 minutes! It is a high-intensity interval training session that keeps your body out of a steady state and burns fat long after you are finished running. You perform this three times a week, so it is the equivalent of running one time for an hour.
  2. The weight-training portion of the program- Training-for-LIFE®- focuses on the major muscles of the upper and lower body on alternating days. This allows for recovery of your muscle tissue and allows for better lean mass gains.
  3. The nutrition component of the program- Eating-for-LIFE®- is a meal plan that allows you to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day! This is by no means a “diet”. It is a way to fuel your body with the nutrients needed to sustain energy and build lean mass.

Unfortunately, I was a little nervous and I talked WAY too much about the 20-Minute Aerobics Solution and ended up running out of time as I was finishing my last few points of the speech.

Main takeaway- knowing the content is only half of the battle, practicing the time constraints is vital to a great speech.