Winter Quarter – Week 1 Snapshot

So the first week of Winter Quarter is over… already. Talk about time flying! I still haven’t received all the textbooks I ordered online, but we already have several assignments due next week! That’s one of the main differences between a semester system and a quarter system I think; there is no “easy” first day (or week) to help slowly ease students back into the grind – it’s more like a dunk tank.

After reflecting on the past week, I’ve come up with a list of the most memorable things (good and bad); most of which are non-school related (mostly because of the crazy weather we have had)!

1. Tuesday, Jan 5 – 1:30 – 3:18PM: The first session of my Business and Sustainability class (MHR 841) really inspired me. We watched a very moving video of a keynote speech given by Interface Carpet’s founder, Ray Anderson.

2. Thursday, Jan 7 – 8:30 – 10:18AM: The professor of Marketing (MBA 840) gave us an excellent brain teaser, which I’ll rewrite here, for you to try. Pick a number between one and nine. Multiply by 9. If you get a two digit number, add the digits together. Subtract 5. Find the letter that corresponds to your number (A=1, B=2…). Think of a country whose name starts with that letter. Now think of an animal whose name begins with the last letter of the country’s name. Then think of a color whose name begins with the last letter of the animal’s name. I’ll put the most common answer at the bottom the post – so no cheating!

3. Thursday, Jan 7 – 10:30AM – 12:00PM: Cost Accounting (MBA 801) began with some unidentified rock music… and a quick “brain teaser” devolved into a 15 minute disagreement about what size piece would fall off if you make two random cuts into a circle hanging on a string. Wow.

4. Thursday, Jan 7 – 3:35 – 5:23PM: My 20 mile commute home took…. this long. I thought I would be “smart” and take city streets, instead of the freeway, but those tricky Columbus drivers (snow novices) apparently had similar ideas!

5. Thursday, Jan 7 – 9:30 – 11:00PM: Doing donuts, power slides and drifting with the Columbus Racing crew – six SUV’s, a brave MR2 owner, a Honda, and of course, my V8 RWD Towncar. You know you’re having a good time when you’re getting sprayed with snow even though you only have your windows rolled down about 2″! I didn’t get any good pictures, so I’m including a generic one, for those of you unfamiliar with the concept.

Donuts!
Donuts!

** The most common answer to the brain teaser in #2 is: an orange kangaroo in Denmark! I came up with an aubergine koala from Denmark… I must admit, I had some trouble coming up with a color whose name began with “a” in English! (I came up with azul immediately, but I figured that was cheating… although aubergine also is rooted in French and British English, so that may be a bit of a stretch as well)!

I hope everyone has an excellent, safe weekend!

Stacey