Christmas Break

It has been a great break.  I haven’t had 3+ weeks completely off in a long time.  Even during my undergrad years I was never fully off.  As a rower on the lightweight crew team, every free moment was spent training for the racing season.  It was no surprise that I was a little unsure how to spend my winter break.  To make it easier, I broke up the break into three blocks.

The first block of time off I spent doing nothing… and it was great.  I stayed in Columbus and slowly unwound from the hectic life I lived during finals.  Each day I read the paper, went to the gym, checked on grades, watched movies, attended ugly sweater parties, etc.

For the second block of winter break, I returned to Cincinnati to spend time with my family.  Of course it was great to be home and see everyone, not to mention all the excellent food I ate.  Plus I was able to go to the Bengals v. Chiefs game in which the Bengals clinched the AFC North title.  Hopefully they can make a good run in the playoffs.

Block three officially began when I returned to Columbus a few days ago.  I am currently trying to adjust back to a more realistic life – one with priorities, deadlines, and homework.  I’ve already bought most of my books and now I need to start reading course syllabi and preparing for another quarter at Fisher College.

Author: Joseph Fahrendorf

• Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio • Attended St. Xavier H.S.; rowed on the crew team • Moved to Connecticut in 2002 for college; earned a degree in History • Hired in 2006 as an Associate for an executive recruiting and corporate governance firm in Greenwich, CT • Left my job in May 2009 to travel in China & Europe before starting FCOB