The Internship Search

Great news!

All the hard work of tweaking my resume, making a huge “STAR” worksheet for interviewing, and hunting for possible internships through Fisher Connect, Monster and LinkedIn seems to have paid off!

I received a summer internship offer from Ford Motor Company, specifically in their “Parts, Supply and Logistics” Group. I was honestly a little worried about that interview, because Ford is one of my top choices, which made me a little nervous. If you recall my “About Me” post, you will remember that I have been tinkering with big, loud, fast Fords for the past seven years. I am very excited to get this offer, and am looking forward to discussing this opportunity with my family over the Thanksgiving break. I also have a second round interview with American Woodmark in two weeks, so that is another topic for discussion.

So what advice can I give people on their internship search?

1. KNOW yourself. What kinds of things are you good at? What do you like to do? What do you definitely not want to do?
  2. MATCH what you learned in Step (1) with industries, and then specific companies. I like using CareerBeam, Vault and WetFeet, along with some individual research.
  3. LEARN about the specific companies you have targeted in Step (2). Is anyone in your classes, your family or your LinkedIn (or other social) network working for that company, or know someone that is working for the company? Set up informational interviews – ask about the culture, daily responsibilities, work/life balance… whatever your key needs are.
  4. STAY POSITIVE. You made the decision to come back to school for a reason. Know that the right opportunity is not necessarily going to be the first opportunity, or the one that comes easiest.

I wish you all the best of luck in your search! And of course, Happy Thanksgiving!

Stacey

2 Responses to “The Internship Search”

1. 1 Erik-Ray Palomar November 25, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Congrats Stacey! And thanks for the tips. I really have to step up my internship search now. :)

2. 2 Robyn Jenkins November 26, 2009 at 1:15 am

Congrats! That is awesome- and with Ford winning 2010 car of the year- it will be a hot spot to work at!! Happy Thanksgiving!!