The Thrill of Victory!

Mirror Lake jump… check.

Fisher Games Basketball Championship… check.

Fisher Games Volleyball Championship… check.

Fisher Games Dodgeball Championship… check.

The past 24 hours have been awesome! Last night our EOTW (Event of the Week) was the Mirror Lake jump. We all met beforehand at a nearby college hangout and walked over to the lake at 11pm. I wasn’t planning on jumping in, but after talking to everyone about it all week, I decided to take the plunge once again. It was just as amazing as I remembered it from last year. There were people in Halloween costumes, football jerseys, and even on surfboards.

In regards to the weather, It was incredibly warm for mid-November, somewhere in the 40s. Last year it was snowing, so we had to go straight back home after the plunge. This year, we hung out afterward and watched the festivities for a while. After jumping in several times, my friends James and Ashish swam with me to the center to stand on the fountain. Being out there in the middle with no one around us made us feel like the thousands of students at the outskirts of the lake were cheering and dancing and jumping and splashing for us. It was one of those moments that makes you happy to be alive.

After getting to bed at around 2am, I got a couple hours of sleep before I met my case competition group at 7:45am to film some scenes for an application video. We’re applying to be part of an incredibly prestigious case competition, and I’ll talk more about it here if we get selected. Wish us luck!

After filming for over two hours, I raced over to the RPAC for the start of the Fisher Winter Games. I’m always amazed at how athletic our graduate students are. In the MBA program alone we have a pro lacrosse player, an MLS and US Olympic soccer player, college baseball players, college football players, college basketball players, triathletes, marathon runners,  cricket players, an American Gladiator contestant, a yoga instructor and a nationally ranked tandem surfer. MBA students are pretty achievement oriented, so it makes sense that many of them have a history of excellence in both academics and athletics.

Coming back to the day’s events, I played four basketball games, three volleyball games and three dodgeball games, finishing on the championship winning team in all three events. I think standing on the fountain the night before must have given us some good luck as James was on our basketball team and Ashish was on our dodgeball team. The dodgeball matches were definitely the hardest competition of the day and our team put together an incredible team effort to win in the final game. Kudos to Jorge for making an amazing double catch, and totally changing the momentum of the match. You can see it again on tonight’s ESPN top 10 plays of the day.

All in all, the day was a huge success as students cheered for each other, ate together, shared stories and enjoyed some friendly athletic competition. We all played hard but at the end of every game it was always smiles, hugs or congratulations for the opposing team. Being well past my athletic prime though, my body is already feeling the effects of the day’s activities. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning.

Thank you to the Graduate Programs Office and the student volunteers who put countless hours of work into organizing the event. I hope everyone made some new friends today as we take one more step to bringing all Fisher programs together as “One Fisher.”

Mike ^_^

Fisher MBA Class of 2010 wins The Briefcase!
14351_788558764852_10100011_46067298_3511322_n