It’s Intern (interview) Season!

You know how a lot of companies hire interns for the summer? I’ve heard it referred to more often than not as “intern season” meaning all of these clueless naive interns who are excited about dressing professionally swarm the office and try to schmooze with as many people as they can.

Well I am going to say that it is intern season here at Fisher within the MLHR program but I don’t mean it the way it is usually meant.  By intern season here I mean ’tis the season to be figuring out how to use our only semi-user friendly online job search system FisherConnect.  Great resource, don’t get me wrong, but navigating it takes some getting used to.  It also means that once you have figured out how to navigate FisherConnect you get to find out what companies are recruiting on campus, what they are recruiting for, and how to submit your resume to them in the hopes that they select you for an interview.

After you’ve done all that you sit back and wait for a bit and then the emails come rolling in.  And by rolling I mean that I have only gotten three so far. The subject email always has a generic tag line so it isn’t until you open the email that you find out if you have been chosen to interview.  I did receive two acceptances and one decline (can’t win them all..) and was euphoric for all of two minutes until I realized that I actually have to sit down and talk with these companies and explain to them how absolutely amazing and talented I am and they should hire me.  It’s probably a good idea if I spend some quality time on their company website as well.

(p.s. I am not even getting into all of the informational sessions and meet and greets held by companies…yet another opportunity to talk about how awesome you are! What great confidence boosters…but really they will be helpful and I’m glad for the opportunity)

In addition to all of this, you’re trying to balance classes, group projects and reading (which has been reasonable so far)…..this all adds up to a lot of crazy stressed nutjob students running around campus talking about the core values of a company next minute to the glory and wonder of statistics the next.

So to sum it up…yes I am busy with classes and preparing for 2 interviews that I know of so far next week plus attending three different career events.  Busy but well worth it once I get a great summer internship! Hooray for intern season!