Summer Internship Reflection - Infosys & Protein Capture Science

Hello!

It is great to be back on campus for my second and last year of the Full-Time MBA program here at Fisher. I had a great summer interning with Infosys (IT and marketing consulting firm based in India) and Protein Capture Science (a local biotech startup in Columbus).

As the Fall semester continues, recruitment for internships and full-time opportunities is very active. I would recommend to future Fisher MBA students to take use of the resources offered at the Office of Career Management (OCM) in order to prep for interviews. I found both of my internships from resources I used from the OCM, specifically recruitment events posted on Handshake and informational emails. I obtained my internship with Protein Capture Science through the Wheeler and Wolstein Internship Program. The program provides OSU undergrad and graduate students with scholarship funding and internships with startup companies and small businesses in Columbus, Ohio. I would strongly recommend this program to any student interested in learning how small businesses operate.

I was able to manage my time over the summer to work for two amazing companies and learn what type of business environment I enjoy. It was very fulfilling to work in the real world and finally utilize the education I learned thus far in business school. I practiced the skills I learned in the classroom setting in the real world to solve complex problems and develop strategic decisions.

Here are a few main takeaways from working for a large company versus a small company/startup.

Large Company:

• Infosys is a huge consulting firm based in India but also has locations throughout the United States (LA, NY, TX). Therefore, there are many options for staff/interns to relocate and work in different sectors within the company.
  • Due to the vast number of staff and interns, the culture at Infosys is very rich and unique. I networked with several interns and full-time staff throughout my internship and was able to learn from their experiences. I also learned about Indian culture and how that intertwines with business practices.

Small Company/Startup:

• Working for a startup with a unique product or mission is very exciting. The atmosphere is very conducive to free thinking and innovation. If you like a lot of freedom and the opportunity to work individually, this might be the right space for you!
  • An added benefit of working in small teams is that the workspace can be fast-moving and efficient. I accomplished many different tasks over the 12 weeks of my internship.