These people, they changed my life for the better

The very first day I walked into Gerlach Hall last September and met the men and women I was to spend the next 9 months with in class, group meetings, and various activities, I was unsure if it was going to be the kind of experience I was hoping for. But as I write this today, I can confidently say that my colleagues in the MAcc class of 2012 are awesome people. Though we came from different backgrounds, we quickly embraced the culture of teamwork which undoubtedly resulted in building lifelong friendships.

Personally, I made friends who corrected me and drew my attention to flaws in my character; friends who encouraged me during my down moments; friends who were willing to go every extent to make sure I felt comfortable in my new environment; friends that opened up their homes to me so I felt at home; and friends I will remember forever. The lovely people I spent the last 9 months of my life with have definitely changed my life immensely – my outlook of life, understanding American culture, learning about different cultures and ethnicities, and what it means to respect other people. Thank you!

If you are an incoming MAcc student or considering applying to the Fisher MAcc program in the future, know that you are in the right place. I don’t know how the admission committee gets all these wonderful people together, but it’s something they do every year. The people in Fisher – especially the MAcc class – are/were awesome.

I wish all my colleagues the very best in all their endeavors.

Author: Nii Ankrah

I was born in Accra, Ghana on April 6th, 1987. I lived in Accra most of the days of my life till i moved to the USA to further my studies in August 2011 at the age of 24. I had my high school education in Pope John Senior High School and Junior Seminary, Ghana (2002-2005). I then undertook my undergraduate studies (Bsc. Administration - Accounting Option) at the University of Ghana Business School (2006-2010). Moving on to PwC-Ghana, i worked as an audit trainee for a year after which i enrolled in Ohio State University - Fisher College of Business to pursue a Masters degree in Accounting (MAcc). My objective is to build a career in forensic accounting. I will be joining Ernst and Young's fraud investigation and dispute services department (Cleveland office) in Fall 2012.