Ohio – Great land for great talents

My friends said that I was a statistical person as I had a tendency to point out any unique or common factors. I did not really think about this until recently I found myself keep looking for some interesting data about Columbus, Ohio :-). I hope that these information would make us feel more proud about the place we live. Let’s check it out!

Did you know that…

wrightfligh

- Ohio IS the birthplace of aviation? On June 12th, 2003, The U.S. House voted to officially recognize Dayton, Ohio – home of Wilbur and Orville Wright – as the place where aviation was born. That’s why the phrase “Birthplace of Aviation” is etched on license plates of every vehicles. Photo note: Oct. 4, 1905: Wilbur Wright flies over Huffman Prairie, near the current Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

- Ohio is the state that has produced the most astronauts? 24 in all, including John Glenn and Neil Armstrong. (Note: Ohio senator John Glenn became the oldest man to venture into outer space.
On February 20, 1962 he was the first American to orbit the earth. In October of 1998 at age 77 he returned to the space program and traveled back into space. Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. He was from Wapakoneta).

- Ohio invented the automatic traffic signal? Garrett Augustus Morgan (1877-1963), an African-American of Cleverland, Ohio was father of this invention (pattern issued in November 20, 1923). The Morgan traffic signal was a T-shaped pole unit that featured three positions: Stop, Go and an all-directional stop position. This “third position” halted traffic in all directions to allow pedestrians to cross streets more safely. Morgan’s traffic management device was used throughout North America until it was replaced by the red, yellow and green-light traffic signals currently used around the world. Morganr sold the rights to his traffic signal to the General Electric Corporation for $40,000. He also is the inventor of the gas mask, used by firemen in the early 1900s and by soldiers in World War I. Cleveland also boasted America’s first traffic light on August 5th, 1914

morgan

Garrett Augustus Morgan (1877-1963) - father of automatic traffic signal

- Ohio gave birth to many of top Fortune companies? Here are 11: Cardinal Health (Dublin), Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati), Kroger (Cincinnati), Macy’s Inc. (Cincinnati), Nationwide Insurance (Columbus), Goodyear Tire & Rubber (Akron), Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Village), American Electric Power (Columbus), Eaton, Inc. (Cleveland), FirstEnergy (Akron), Limited Brands (Columbus)

- Ohio gave birth to The American Federation of Labor? The American Federation of Labor (AF of L) was one of the first federations of labor unions in the United States. It was founded in 1886 by an alliance of craft unions disaffected from the Knights of Labor, a national labor association.

American Federation of Labor

American Federation of Labor

Founded December 8, 1886
Date dissolved December 4, 1955
Merged into AFL-CIO
Country United States
Key people Samuel Gompers
John McBride
William Green
George Meany
Office location New York City; later Washington, D.C.
Thomas_Edison of Milan, Ohio

Thomas_Edison of Milan, Ohio

- Ohio is home of excellent leaders and talents? Seven United States presidents were born in Ohio. They are: Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, William H. Taft, and Warren G. Harding. Some well-known personalities were born in Ohio too, such as Steven Spielberg, Paul Newman, Annie Oakley, Arsenio Hall and Clark Gable. Thomas Alva Edison (February 11, 1847 – October 18, 1931), a world-class inventor-scientist-businessman, who developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a long-lasting, practical electric light bulb, was born in Milan, Ohio.

In my culture, there is a saying that “Great land produces great people”. This saying is certainly true to Ohio. Hope that Ohio would enrich my personality, foster my ability and make me a greater person than I was! :-)

Would you join me in Ohio?

Ha Dang