OpEx Spotlight: Tracy Jones, Manager of Strategy & Governance, Cardinal Health

At the Center for Operational Excellence, we work alongside our members to foster a problem-solving culture that’s grounded in tried-and-true operational excellence tools, and that’s constant and far-reaching. One way we do that is by connecting industry executives, Fisher College of Business faculty, and our consortium of member companies. By learning from each other and accessing the resources Ohio State has to offer, member companies have the constant support needed to chart a path to excellence that builds resilience and adaptability in a rapidly changing world.

Our OpEx Spotlight series highlights members of our OpEx community and allows them to share their experiences and perspectives with continuous improvement, organizational change, operational excellence, supply chain, operations, and any niche they feel passionate about. 

Meet Tracy Jones, Manager of Strategy and Governance at Cardinal Health. With over 18 years of experience in supply chain and logistics in both the healthcare and automotive industries, Tracy is passionate about enterprise collaboration with diverse teams to drive continuous improvement and leading a culture of innovation. She is an active board member with LSS CHOICES, serves on COE's Women's Leadership committee, and received her Blackbelt certification in 2019. 

How did you get into this type of work? Why is it important to you?

I have been around OpEx in one way or another for over 15 years, and was approached by the OpEx team at Cardinal Health for a Black Belt opportunity when I was out in the field as the transportation manager at the National Logistics Center (Groveport, OH).

The mindset of OpEx and guiding principles are what is most important to me, and reflect closely with how I am personally wired to always be improving my self or the areas around me. 

What advice do you have for other OpEx professionals?

Go to the gemba, seek to listen and learn first about process, people and culture before applying OpEx principles in a work area. This will help build trust first by having strong relationships to then move into influencing and coaching for OpEx opportunities that are compelling to the business. Never be cookie cutter, if you are a dedicated Black Belt, seek creative ways to influence, teach yet maintain the integrity of all OpEx tools and principles.

How are you leveraging operational excellence to improve your career and/or organization?

Right now, I am using the principles of 5S and tiered meetings to help bring structure to my work team, which is a newer organization at Cardinal Health. I am also leveraging basic visual management principles for our reporting needs, which is very useful given the work from home world we all find ourselves in right now.

What has been your greatest OpEx accomplishment?

I enjoyed being a dedicated Black Belt and always look at people development as the best accomplishment I can achieve as a leader. Seeing people I have coached in kaizens become Black Belts, or people within the business that I have coached using the lean management system in their work areas and sustain that progress are the accomplishments most meaningful to me. Sustain the culture, and influence people to embrace the OpEx mindset!

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments