Advice to MAcc Class 2023

Well this is the end! In a little under two weeks I will be officially done with the Master of Accounting Program at the Fisher College of Business. As I look forward to graduation, I'm also looking back on what a year it's been. We had a weird year as the first half still had covid restrictions that eventually lifted come fall. In person events were hit or miss, class was done in masks, and overall there was a lot of just differences between our year and other years. I am glad that most of our classes were in person, but it was nice that a lot of times we had an option to go online. Now that my time in the MAcc Program has come to a close, I'd like to impart my biggest three pieces of advice to the new and incoming MAcc class.

1. Try and go to all of the traditional "Ohio State" locals

Make sure when you are here for your year you go to at least one football game! What's Ohio State without football? Also try and hit up the traditional campus spots like Out-R-Inn, Buckeye Donuts, and Buckeye Grove. In your class there will most certainly be some students who did undergraduate at Ohio State and make sure to get their input as well on must sees. Short North is also a fun time, if you're out late enough make sure to get a Gyro from the street meat carts!

2. Invest in a warm winter jacket and boots

I am originally from Ohio, but after spending four years in Miami for my undergraduate, I was not prepared for the bitter cold. Make sure that you have a good jacket for the frosty football games towards the end of the season as well as for the day to day class commute. I also recommend boots as I felt like my feet were so cold and also helps so that you aren't slipping around in the snow. I definitely underestimated/forgot how rough Ohio winters were, so make sure that you come prepared if coming from a warmer climate! 

3. Attempt to evenly space your quarter classes

One mistake that I did was not plan accordingly for my classes as well as class requirements. I had a kind of easier first semester at the expense of having to stack almost all of my accounting credits in the second semester which was not the best idea. I think going forward I would have looked at the year in entirety and not just quarter by quarter because that did not go too well for me. Ensure that you stay up to date with class offerings and also keeps tabs on how you are doing in regards to fulfilling the MAcc requirements for graduation!

While my time at Ohio State is coming to an end, I know I will be able to tap into the Buckeye alumni network throughout my career and for that I am forever grateful. Cheers to the end of my college career! Go Canes & Go Bucks!