Navigating Through Finals Season!

One of the most frustrating things with finals during autumn semester is the collision with so many other out-of-school events. The few weeks in between Thanksgiving and Winter break are deemed some of the worst of the academic year, and I couldn't agree more! Especially after getting a taste of a relaxing break at the end of November, it is so hard to get back into the swing of things, and even worse, this is the period where it matters most! Thankfully, after a few finals seasons at Fisher, I have developed some helpful hints and tricks on how to finish strong and feel good after yet another completed grad school semester.

The MHRM program is especially hit with numerous group projects and papers in these last couple weeks. However, one of the benefits of having a relatively small cohort and having most of your classes all with the same students is that you get very comfortable in your project groups. I usually work with the same group for most projects, making it very easy to coordinate schedules and work styles! The graduate building also has several study rooms you can reserve so we can all meet together in person and make a day out of it. 

Additionally, being in a graduate program, there is a much higher sense of community, which makes finals much more bearable. In undergrad, I felt like finals were very on-your-own and every person for themselves, but now I really feel like me and my cohort are all in it together. Every finals season there are numerous student led study groups, review sessions, and supportive group chats to reach out to if you need any help. Taking advantage of these opportunities and relationships really makes it a much easier experience and way less stressful as you feel not as alone. Studying in groups also allows you to have natural breaks and chatting sessions that bring a level of fun and socialization to the work. I think one of the biggest things that keeps me from burning out is having debriefs with my peers and being able to bond over shared experience. 

Lastly, making time for yourself within these hard academic weeks is crucial. Scheduling study breaks for yourself, not staying up too late, and keeping your time managed as well as you can. My peers and I also try to maintain balance by watching movies at night to rewind, decorating our home/office for the holidays, and spending time with classmates and friends outside the classroom to keep ourselves well-rounded. It is so easy to get bogged down by schoolwork, and just as easy to burn yourself out, so it is vital that you still make time for yourself during the home stretch!