Settling Down in Milan

After nearly one year of preparation, nerves, and excitement, I have finally arrived in Milan for my Student Exchange Program for the semester of Spring 2022. In this post, I will be sharing my experience thus far with my Host Country and City: Milan, Italy. I have run into some expected and unexpected cultural differences so far. I think it is important to understand the culture of Italy before arriving, especially during the times of the pandemic, so that as an Exchange Student you can be respectful.

The first thing I have noted about Milan since arriving is that public transportation is a huge factor in living here. One may compare Milan to a large city in the States like New York City or Chicago. The tram, metro, and buses are your go-to when traveling around ​the city. Therefore, the first piece of advice I can share if traveling to Milan would be, to get at ATM card the first or second day you arrive! Without this card, you would probably have to waste a lot of money taxiing everywhere. Of course, the ATM card costs money, but it is discounted for students! The trams run every day of the week as well as the buses and metro, so as long as you have your ATM card, you can travel throughout the city of Milan.

Another somewhat expected aspect of living in Milan is that everyone is dressed up in public. You know how students at Ohio State like to wear sweatpants and sweatshirts in public to run errands or go to class or even walk around campus? That is certainly not the case in Milan. With designer brands on basically every corner and street, dress to the nines. My favorite part about the fashion is that they even dress their dogs in fancy sweaters (some even nicer than the sweaters I own!) So, make sure when you are packing to study abroad, you pack some nicer outfits.

An unexpected aspect of living, I have encountered living in Milan is how late people eat dinner here. In the United States, I tend to eat dinner around 6-7 pm each night. However, restaurants will not even open here until 7:30 pm, and people normally eat dinner around 8 pm. It has taken some adjusting to get used to a later dinner. The first few nights I was here I made the mistake of not immediately going to the grocery store. That being said, I would eat some gelato and coffee, and then wait until 8 pm to eat. I was super hungry the first few days before I understood how eating in Milan works. My advice is to buy yourself some groceries or even snacks early on so that if you are not adjusting to the Italian eating schedule, you won’t starve!

If I could give advice to any student studying abroad, my biggest pointer would be that you should bring a reusable water bottle. I know this does not sound like a big deal, but if I did not bring my hydro flask with me, I would be very dehydrated. At every restaurant, café, etc., they will charge you for every bottle of water (sparkling or still) that you order. So instead of ordering water, I fill my bottle up at my dorm each day before heading out. Then, if I go out to eat, I just drink my water! Additionally, you must be careful drinking tap water here, so make sure you buy a Brita or drink from filtered sources. There are some here around the city, but luckily in my dorm, they provide a free filtered water source. I am always drinking water, so I never travel anywhere without my hydro flask. (You can also buy a water bottle here in a convenience store and reuse it too, but I prefer my insulated bottle.)

Make sure you bring a good pair of walking sneakers (tennis shoes) because you will be walking a lot. For instance, I walk about 5-10 miles a day here. It is closer to 10 miles on the weekend, so it is important to invest in a good pair of shoes for sure. I made the mistake of going for style over comfort, and I now have blistered toes and heels. I bought a better pair here, but I should have just prepared to bring a better pair of walking shoes.

Overall life in Milan has been amazing! I have done many touristy things in my first weeks like visiting the Duomo (see picture attached), getting espresso ​or ​“il caffe”, and shopping around Milan. I am so excited for the months to come.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments