First Weeks in Dublin

I arrived in Dublin, Ireland on January 15, 2022 (or 15/01/22 as they would say here). Although this is my fourth week living here, it still does not feel like this is actually my life. It has definitely been an adjustment, but I am so lucky to have come with other people I know and that I chose to study abroad in an English-speaking country. 

Cliff of Moher in Ireland

Although this is my second time visiting Dublin, living here is very different from visiting. The biggest thing I noticed right away is that they don’t give you bags to hold things after you buy them (for everything except for clothes). I had to learn this the hard way the first day I arrived when I went to the pharmacy to get some basics ​and on the way home had to juggle everything in my hands and pockets on the 20-minute walk. I immediately ordered a big canvas tote bag that I have now started taking everywhere with me just in case I need to stop off to pick something up. Another thing I noticed is that I can’t always understand the Irish accent. Some people have such a thick accent and use Irish slang words I have never heard before. That combined with mask-wearing makes understanding people difficult sometimes. 

This is the first time I have had to live in a city- and getting groceries/shopping, in general, is a huge adjustment. I didn't realize that not having a car to get around would be such an inconvenience. You would never think about something like this, but carrying back two big bags filled with groceries is not an easy task and something that makes me sweat every time. 

Although there are some ​difficulties with living in a big city like Dublin, there are also so many amazing things to do here. Whether it's eating, exploring small neighborhoods, or taking the Dart (train) to small towns along the coast, there is always something to do. As a foodie, I didn't know what to expect here, but every place here is delicious! I have a never-ending list of restaurants I want to try. There are so many hidden gems all throughout the city. I keep finding new and interesting things like a hidden coffee shop behind a book store, a park in the middle of the city surrounded by stone walls, or even a delicious restaurant in the corner of a building. It is also such a walkable city. Everywhere I want to go is within a 30-minute walk maximum, and if I am feeling lazy that day I can easily take public transit anywhere I want to go. I also love how many cute cobblestone streets there are. The first weekend I was here I went on a long walk to some of the neighborhoods outside of the city center. I fell in love with the old houses, cute coffee shops, and adorable downtowns they had. Dublin is such an amazing city with so much to see and do.

Obviously, I am here to study, and I am lucky enough to be studying at Trinity College. Trinity is the oldest university in Ireland and the architecture shows it. Walking onto campus you are greeted with old stone buildings from hundreds of years ago. Every day I find it hard to believe I actually go to a school with so much history. 

O-H-I-O at Cliff of Moher in Ireland.

It has been a challenge to figure out how school works here. University in Europe is much different than a university in the United States. First, they only have a set list of classes you can take each year you are in school. So, everyone in their first year takes about the same classes, everyone in their second year takes about the same classes, and so on. This is very different from Ohio State where I am used to taking my classes whenever I want (after finishing the prerequisites). Another very different thing is the grading. They never take attendance and grades are solely based on tests/group work or essays. Your entire grade relies on one or two essays for history classes or one group project for my business classes. Participation, weekly quizzes, and midterms are not ​used here. Another difference ​in grading is the grades that they give out. Here, it is impossible to get a 100% on any assignment. The highest-grade professors give out is 70%. This is frustrating, but ​just how it works in Ireland. 

I have been here for four weeks but am still excited to explore Ireland more. Although this is a small country, there is so much to see and do, and I can’t wait to see what the next two months hold for me!

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments