This page provides lists & links to a variety of information sources regarding companies, industries and business subjects.
Specific areas of information are provided regarding: Research and Data Sites, Strategy Related Sites, International Organizations, Consulting Sites, Government Data Sources, International Business Related Sites, Academic Professional Societies, International Information, and Miscellaneous Articles and Sites
Research and Data Sources
Public Sources of Business Level Information
A List of General Public Sources of Business Information
- Industry Studies (e.g., books, cases, investment analysis, market research)
- Trade Associations
- Popular Business Press (e.g., popular press, industry trade journals, local newspapers, online services such as Bloomberg, OneSource, or Compustat).
- Government Sources (e.g., antitrust, legal, or tax documents, census or IRS data, regulatory reports).
- Industry & Company Directories (e.g., Thomas' Register, Dun & Bradstreet, Moody's).
- Company Sources (e.g., annual reports, SEC filings, public relations material, internet sites, company histories).
Database Selection Guide- A compilation of business databases accessible through the Rosenfeld Library at the Anderson School of Business at UCLA.
Social Science Information Gateway - Search over 50,000 Social Science Web pages concerning, business, law, and the social sciences.
Social Science Research Network- Access an Abstract Database containing abstracts on over 37,500 scholarly working papers and forthcoming papers and an Electronic Paper Collection currently containing over 19,700 downloadable full text documents in Adobe Acrobat pdf format. Major topics: economics, management, finance and law research.
Information at The Ohio State University Libraries
to view an overview of information sources for companies, industries, and business subjects at the business library click here.
to view an annotated list of information sources for companies, industries, and business subjects at the business library click here.
to view a chart of where access electronic information at the business library click here.
Company Specific Information
Bizweb - A web business guide to more than 46,000 companies listed in over 200 categories
Competitive Intelligence- Learn about a focal company and its competitors, the industry in which the company competes, and the socio-political environment in which it operates.
Hoovers - Business news, market information, and company research.
Portal to Industry Specific Information - An extensive list of industry portals.
Industry Level InformationBill Goeff's Resources for Economists sponsored by the American Economic Association. It lists 1,265 resources in 74 sections and sub-sections available on the Internet of interest to academic and practicing economists, and those interested in economics.Bureau of Labor Statistics A fact-finding agency for the Federal Government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics.
Census Bureau at the United States Department of Commerce.EXPO (download free copy of EXPO) This tool provides open access to any real-time and historical market data source.
Hall's Productivity Page Links from Bronwyn Hall's page, Professor of Economics at the University of California, Berkeley.
Lexis/Nexis offers products and services for legal, business, academic, and government professionals.
National Bureau of Economic Research A private, nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to promoting a greater understanding of how the economy works. Links to areas of research.
New York Stock Exchange The official website of the The New York Stock Exchange.
OSU Finance Data Finder Search the Fisher College of Business database of web sites targeted for finance researchers and scholars.
Wall Street Research Net Filled with financial information including stock prices, financial reports, and links to other sources of information.
WebEc Collections of economic data organized by country. This site has hundreds of links to other resources.
General Management Information
Business2 discovers and reports on the smartest, most innovative business practices and the people behind them. It delivers surprising, useful insights, and explains how to put them to work
Commerce - A nonprofit consortium of business, government, technology, and academic leaders to jointly develop and implement new eCommerce technologies and business practices worldwide.
e-Marketer The world's leading provider of e-Business statistics. Includes a database of more than 300,000 data points and 16,000 charts and tables.
Forrester Forrester is a leading independent research firm that analyzes the future of technology change and its impact on businesses, consumers, and society.
IAC-Insite Quick and easy access to thousands of the world's most important business publications -- for a price.
Iconocast ICONOCAST is a free weekly newsletter that tracks trends in marketing and technologies.
IDC A leading global provider of technology forecasts, insights, and advice.
JUP Jupiter Media Matrix analyzes and measures the end-to-end impact of the Internet and new technologies on commerce and marketing. Site requires registration
Popular Business Press
Business Week Online edition of the popular business magazine.
CNN Online branch of the Cable News Network
Consultants News A source of independent and objective news, analysis, industry data, informed insights and trends that will help you assess current realities, protect your interests and grow your business.
The Economist An online source for the analysis of world business and current affairs, providing authoritative insight and opinion on international news, world politics, business, finance, science and technology, as well as overviews of cultural trends and regular industry, business and country surveys.
FastCompany Seeks to chronicle how changing companies create and compete, to highlight new business practices, and to showcase the teams and individuals who are inventing the future and reinventing business.
Forbes Links to current business press and information.
Harvard Business Review HBR strives to be the publisher of choice for those authors and content experts with important management ideas and a desire to improve the practice of management worldwide.
Inc. Small business resources and business advice online.
News.com Current news and links to collections of business information.
New York Times Access to current articles in the paper. Requires free registration for full text of articles.
Red Herring.com In-depth analysis and reporting on the forces driving innovation—technology, entrepreneurialism and the financial markets.
The Standard hosted by IDG.net. This archive includes most stories published by TheStandard.com from January 1998 through September 2001.
Strategy+Business Business news, reprints of articles, and information regarding strategic thinking.
Wall Street Journal Online version of the paper. Much of the site requires a subscription.
Wired News News stories relating to business, politics, technology, and culture.
General Consulting Info Trends in management consulting and IT
Management Consulting Firms
Accounting & IT Consulting Firms
Academy of Management A leading professional association of scholars dedicated to creating and disseminating knowledge about management and organizations.
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) Searchable databases, publications, current news, and outside links to operations research information.
Strategic Management Society The leading professional association of academics, business practitioners, and consultants dedicated to creating and disseminating knowledge about business and corporate level strategy.
Strategy Research Forum An emerging professional group of leading young academics dedicated to creating knowledge regarding the theory of managerial strategy and organization.
CEO Resource Quizzes to help identify potential problems within your organization and recommendations on how to succeed in your company as well as your personal life.
CEO center (from American Society of Association Executives) Dedicated to advancing the value of voluntary associations to society and supporting the professionalism of the individuals who lead them.
Introduction to INTOPIA (a business strategy simulation) Link is inactive
M&A Online Inc. The place for buyers and sellers of companies of all sizes to network. The site lists allows users to post companies for sale and to browse companies for sale.
The Outsourcing Institute Forum A global professional association dedicated solely to outsourcing - a neutral source for information, networking, customized services and solutions to help you achieve success in outsourcing.
Small Business: Start Your Own Business
Anne Marie Knott's Venture Design Venture Design is an innovative text that walks students through each of the major decisions in venture design, and integrates them into a cohesive whole.
Business Owner's Toolkit Use this information to answer your business, tax, and legal questions and to get practical tips that will help you work smarter, save money, and stay in compliance with the law.
Business Plans What you need to know to write a business plan, start a business, market your business, or move your business online.
The Dept. of Treasury Small Business Info This site strives to help historically underutilized businesses to develop and grow, and to foster an environment where these highly skilled suppliers can, on their own merits, compete successfully for a fair share of Treasury contracts and subcontracts.
Initial Public Offering Resources A resource for ipo-related information that marries non-profit academic and commercial content. Lots of usefule links to databases, text resources, and other useful information.
Small & Home-based Business Links References, opportunities, services, and advice for small businesses.
Venture One A comprehensive database on venture-backed companies and investors, insightful content and coverage on the latest venture capital trends, and information on world class conferences with leading investment professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Library of Congress Access to the Library's collection of more than 121 million items.
U.S. Agency for International Development USAID has the twofold purpose of furthering America's foreign policy interests in expanding democracy and free markets while improving the lives of the citizens of the developing world.
U.S. Department of Commerce: International Trade Administration News, trade statistics, and state export data. Also has links to useful information regarding international trade issues.
- U.S. Department of State Links to information regarding governemnt offices, countries and regions, and International topics and issues.
- U.S. International Trade Commission The U.S. International Trade Commission is an independent, nonpartisan, quasi-judicial federal agency that provides trade expertise to both the legislative and executive branches of government, determines the impact of imports on U.S. industries, and directs actions against certain unfair trade practices, such as patent, trademark, and copyright infringement.
- U.S. Trade and Development Agency The USTDA assists in the creation of jobs for Americans by helping U.S. companies pursue overseas business opportunities. Through the funding of feasibility studies, orientation visits, specialized training grants, business workshops, and various forms of technical assistance, we enable American businesses to compete for infrastructure and industrial projects in middle-income and developing countries.
- U.S. Trade Representative's Homepage News, speeches, and information regarding trade-related issues.
Information on Competition and Antitrust Policy
- Antitrust Division of Department of Justice This site has links to information that helps lower the costs to business of complying with the law by reducing uncertainty about the parameters of legal behavior.Competition and Antitrust Policy of the OECD source of policy analysis and advice to governments on how best to harness market forces in the interests of greater global economic efficiency and prosperity.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) "Working for consumer protection and a competitive marketplace."
- Business Practices in Various Countries Links to business practices in several different countries.
- CIA World Factbook In general, information available as of 1 January 2001 was used in the preparation of The World Factbook 2001. Alphabetical links to countries of the world.
- Country information including radio programs (!) at Global Management.com
- Country Reports on Economic Policy & Trade Practices Links to information on several countries.
- Country Risk and Economic Analysis Business Monitor International's daily internet-based service, offering original, same-day comment and interpretation of key financial and economic developments across emerging markets.
- Country Risk Gradings Research and analysis on the world economy and emerging markets from the standpoint of exporters and direct investors, rather than the usual financial market commentary.
- Country Studies/Area Handbook Program On-line versions of books previously published in hard copy by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Army. Because the original intent of the Series' sponsor was to focus primarily on lesser known areas of the world or regions in which U.S. forces might be deployed, the series is not all-inclusive.
- Excite City.Net A search engine.
- Political and Economic Risk in Asian Nations Contains a range of risk reports on the countries of Asia, paying special attention to critical socio-political variables like corruption, intellectual property rights risks, labor quality, and other systemic strengths and weakness of individual Asian countries.
- Yahoo-Regional: Countries A directory of links to information about many countries organized by country name.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development An international organisation helping governments tackle the economic, social and governance challenges of a globalised economy. Visitors can access statistics, working papers, and country information.
- The United Nations Home page of the United Nations
- UN Information Services Links to different branches of the United Nations and their associated information sources.
- The World Bank One of the world's largest sources of development assistance. The Bank offers a wide range of services to support the development and implementation of its poverty-reduction activities in its member countries. They can be categorized into Financial Services, Analytic and Advisory Services, and Capacity Building.
- World Trade Organization Statistics, research, publications and other services offered by the WTO
- Yahoo - Government: Countries Information on the governments of many countries.
International Business Related Sites
A Business Researcher's Interests: International Business & Technology Information @Brint.com This page provides access to business, communication, import-export, linguistic, legal, marketing, media, monetary, public affairs, research, technology, trade, and travel information for the world level resources.
Company, Country and Organizations Information -Courtesy of Roberto Garcia, Management Department at the Ohio State University
Europa A concentrated source for information on the European Union
Global Information Access NeT Site contains 1) A directory of international affairs organizations worldwide, and 2)A survey of international education opportunities for underrepresented populations.
Government Resources on the Web: University of Michigan Documents Center
International Business Resources CIBER: International Business Resources on the WWW (from Michigan State Univ.)
I-Trade (Int'l trade resource)
Internet Resources for International Economics & Business This Website is designed to help the Internet community (students in international economics or business, teachers, and business professionals) with essential informations on international trade, finance, business, law and others.
World-Wide Web Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources Over 2200 annotated links in a wide range of international affairs topics.
Yahoo: Business and Economy: Trade A Yahoo directory to business and economy sites.
Miscellaneous Articles and Political Sites
Gerdes' EconTools Learn the Principles of economics.
Levin's Game Theory Page This site uses the tools of modern economics and game theory to explore how the interaction of intelligent goal-seeking individuals determines social outcomes. There is general interest material, undergraduate and graduate course material, and original research.
Six Principles from "Sun Tzu and the Art of Business" The Sun Tzu Strategy Website sponsored by Mark McNeilly, Author, Strategist & Public Speaker
Why Business School Rankings are Harmful An article by Ivo Welch, Professor of Finance, Yale/SOM.