- Central Ohio Technical College, Cindy Nauer and Bonnie Buchanan
- Columbus State Community College, Carmen Daniels and Selloane Asiamah
- Edison Community College, Bill Waxman
- Lakeland Community College, Connie Golden
- Fisher College of Business, Miranda Gerberding and Joyce Steffan
Fisher College of Business and a select group of Ohio Community Colleges are creating an Emerging Markets Field Study Abroad trip to Panama for community college faculty and students that follows the Fisher EMFS Field Study model listed at the website below. Participants will gain a global perspective and hands-on international experience through a credit-bearing course and in-country experience. Corporate and cultural site visits with academic debriefings each day comprise the in-country component.
Each community college will decide how to allocate credit for a course attached to the study tour. Community colleges could use a current course that fits with different aspects of the Panama itinerary (i.e., logistics/supply chain, transportation management, international business, economics) and include the in-country experience as part of the curriculum. Discussions will occur at each community college interested in participating to decide the course and credit allocation issue.
At the initial stage of this initiative, community college faculty who are interested in participating will be identified by their college. Interested faculty who plan to or currently teach a course that has a global focus could audit the Fisher College Emerging Markets Field Study 698H02 course during the 2012 Autumn Semester (syllabus listed on this website under More Information). Additionally, they would travel to Panama in December 2012 with the Fisher student group to experience first-hand how the course is delivered. Those faculty would then create or enhance their course which would use the in-country experience as part of the curriculum.
2012 Panama Study Tour
- Date of Trip: Interested community college faculty only would be invited by their Dean to audit Fisher’s 2012 Autumn Semester EMFS 698H02 course during the fall with travel to Panama December 14 - 21, 2012 to participate in the in-country experience. Community college faculty would debrief course dynamics and learning objectives with Fisher's professor leading the course.
- Corporate Site Visits: Corporate site visits are arranged to reinforce curriculum focus. For example, Panama Canal, Panama Railway Company, and Copa Airlines are among scheduled corporate site visits.
- Cost: For 2012 Tour, each faculty participant would pay the following:
- $1,950 Program Fee: Includes double occupancy four-star hotel accommodations, all breakfasts, all cultural tours, ground transportation, and select meals
- Excludes: RT Airfare to Panama Tocumen International Airport (approximately $500 - $650),
- Excludes: Other expenses such as visas, passports, vaccinations, meals not covered in program, and incidentals
- Application: Fisher College will provide logistics support for participating community college faculty (application, hotel reservation, ground transportation, etc.) but each community college faculty will make their own flight reservations.
2013 Panama Study Tour
Those faculty who participated in 2012 Panama Study Tour would nominate interested student(s) who meet eligibility criteria from their course to participate in the 2013 OCCIN Panama Study Tour. Nominated students would meet the following suggested criteria: 3.0 minimum GPA, completed international business pre-requisite course, and have the ability to travel to Panama.
- Date of Trip: Panama Study Tour would be offered to community college faculty and students December 12 – 19, 2013.
- Corporate Site Visits: Depending on course dynamics at different community colleges, corporate site visits would be arranged to reinforce curriculum focus.
- Cost: For 2013 Tour, each faculty and student participant would pay approximate costs based on 2012 but Fisher College of Business reserves right to increase price.
- Application: Fisher College will provide logistics support for participating community college faculty and student(s) (application, hotel reservation, ground transportation, etc.) but each community college participant will make their own flight reservations.
Because each participant will be required to pay required costs for in-country experience, fundraising ideas are listed at the following website:
Office of Global Business
Fisher College of Business
The Ohio State University
223 Mason Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1144
+ 1 614.292.2795
Follow the Office of Global Business-CIBER: Facebook