Xiaoyan Deng received her Ph. D. in Marketing from University of Pennsylvania in May 2009. She joined the faculty at the Ohio State University in July 2009. Dr. Deng is an experimental consumer behavior researcher. Her research focuses on Visual Marketing as she is particularly interested in how consumers respond to the visual design of products and marketing communications, and how these responses shape their preferences and choices. Dr. Deng’s research has appeared in the Journal of Consumer Psychology, the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing, and the Journal of Marketing Research.
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer behavior
- Product design
- Packaging design
- Mass customization
- Aesthetics and visual perception
- Sensory marketing
- Ph.D. in Marketing, University of Pennsylvania
- M.S. in Advertising, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A., B.E. in Industrial Design, Hunan University, China
- Deng, X., Kahn, B. E. (2009). Consumer Responses to Visual Packaging Cues: A Strategic Framework. In Aradhna Krishna (Ed.), Sensory Marketing; Research on the Sensuality of Products. Taylor & Francis Group
- Kahn, Barbara and Xiaoyan Deng (2009). Effects on Visual Weight Perceptions of Product Image Locations on Packaging, in Sensory Marketing, ed., Aradhna Krishna, New York: LEA/Psychology Press.
Publications & Papers under Review
- Deng, X., Hui, S., Hutchinson, J. W. (2010). Consumer Preferences for Color Combinations: An Empirical Analysis of Similarity-Based Color Relationships. Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 20, Issue 4, 476-484.
- Deng, Xiaoyan and Barbara E. Kahn (2009). Is Your Product on the Right Side? The ‘Location Effect’ on Perceived Product Heaviness and Package Evaluation. Journal of Marketing Research, 46(6).
- Deng, Xiaoyan and J. Wesley Hutchinson (2008). The Effect of Metaphoric Design on Product Evaluation. Revising for 2nd review at the Journal of Marketing.
- Iacobucci, Dawn, Neela Saldanha, and Xiaoyan Deng (2007). A Meditation on Mediation: Evidence That Structural Equations Models Perform Better Than Regressions. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 17(2), 139-153.
- Deng, Xiaoyan and J. Wesley Hutchinson, “Aesthetic Self-Design: Just Do It Yourself,” revising for 2nd review at Journal of Consumer Research.
- Deng, Xiaoyan and J. Wesley Hutchinson, “The Effect of Metaphoric Design on Product Evaluation,” revising for resubmitting to Journal of Marketing Research.
- Deng, Xiaoyan and Raji Srinivasan, “When Do Transparent Packages Increase (or Decrease) Snack Consumption,” under 1st review at Journal of Marketing.
- Deng, Xiaoyan, Barbara E. Kahn, and Sara Michalski, “How ‘Healthy Eating’ Packaging Cues Affect Food Purchasing and Consumption Behavior?”