Professor Buser co-coordinates the Student Investment Management program (SIM), which gives MBA-level students an opportunity to make investment decisions for the university. Under Professor Buser's leadership, the SIM class manages more than $15 million of the university's portfolio; over the last nine years, the students have consistently outperformed the S&P 500.
Dr. Buser's research has been published in the Journal of Business, Journal of Risk and Insurance and Journal of Financial Economics. He is an associate editor for the Journal of Finance, Journal of Housing Research and Housing Policy Debate.
He has served as a visiting professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business and as a financial economist for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Dr. Buser teaches stock market, investments and corporate finance courses at the undergraduate, master's and Ph.D. levels.
Areas of Expertise
- Interest rates
- Valuation analysis
- Equities and fixed income securities
- Cyclical cash flows
- Ph. D., Boston College
- A. B., Princeton University
- Former Co-Editor, Journal of Finance
- Associate Editor, Journal of Housing Research, and Housing Policy Debate
- Former Associate Editor, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association Journal.
- Manuscript referee for:
- Journal of Financial Economics
- Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis
- Journal of Business
- Journal of Money Credit and Banking
- Housing Finance Review
- Financial Management
- Financial Review
- Journal of Financial Research
- Management Science
- Journal of Economics and Business
- Journal of Macroeconomics
FIN 4270 /7270 - History of Financial Thought
The American Finance Association (the AFA) is the world's largest and best known association for academics and practitioners in the area of finance. In 2004, the AFA launched an effort to organize and coordinate efforts to record the historical development of the academic field of finance. Fisher College of Business will continue the effort by hosting a series of session with leading academics as well as leading practitioners.
- "On the Determinants of the Value of Options on Default-Free Bonds," with P. H. Hendershott, A. B. Sanders, Journal of Business, 63 (January 1990), pp. 33-50.
- "Risk Aversion, Insurance Costs and Optimal Property-Liability Coverages," with M.L. Smith, Journal of Risk and Insurance, LIV (June 1987), pp. 225-245.
- "Stocks, Bills, Inflation and the Corporate Capital Structure Decision," with P. J. Hess, Proceedings: CRSP Seminar on the Analysis of Security Prices (May, 1987)
- "NASDAQ/NMS Qualification Standards, Ohio Registration Experience and the Price Performance of Iniatial Public Offerings," with K. C. Chan, monograph published by the National Association of Security Dealers, Inc. (April 1987)
- "Empirical Determinants of the Relative Yields on Taxable and Tax Exempt Securities," with P. J. Hess, Journal of Financial Economics, 17 (December 1986), pp. 335-355.