Berk A. Sensoy
Prior to joining Fisher, Sensoy was a visiting assistant professor of finance at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University and an assistant professor at the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California. His research interests include entrepreneurial finance, venture capital and private equity, and empirical corporate finance.
Areas of Expertise
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Empirical Corporate Finance
- PhD, Finance, University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
- MBA, University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
- BS, Physics, Duke University
FIN 8240 - Seminar: Empirical Corporate Finance
Covers empirical research and mythologies in areas related to capital structure, investment, financial distress and governance.
MBA 6221 - Finance I
Covers topics of time value of money, concepts of risk and return, and investment criteria.
MBA 6223 - Finance
A market-oriented framework for analyzing the major types of financial decisions made by corporations. The course covers the following topics: present value techniques, capital budgeting, asset valuation, portfolio theory, asset pricing, market efficiency, options, capital structure, financial distress, financial modeling, risk management, mergers and acquisitions and ethics.
- "Changing the Nexus: The Evolution and Renegotiation of Venture Capital Contracts",
with Ola Bengtsson, April 2013. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
- Limited Partner Performance and the Maturing of the Private Equity Industry”,
with Yingdi Wang and Michael S. Weisbach, Journal of Financial Economics, June 2014, Vol 112 (Issue 3), 320-343.
- "Do Private Equity Fund Managers Earn their Fees? Compensation, Ownership, and Cash Flow Performance”,
with David Robinson, Review of Financial Studies, November 2013, Vol. 26 (Issue 11), 2760-2797.
- "The Effects of Stock Lending on Security Prices: An Experiment",
with Steve Kaplan and Toby Moskowitz, Journal of Finance, October 2013, Vol. 68 (Issue 5), 1891-1936.
- Winner, Q Group Roger F. Murray Prize for Excellence in Quantitative Research in Finance, First Prize, 2011.
- "Pay for Performance from Future Fund Flows: The Case of Private Equity,"
with Ji-Woong Chung, Lea Stern, and Mike Weisbach, Review of Financial Studies, November 2012, Vol. 25 (Issue 11), 3259-3304.
- Winner, Wharton School WRDS Award for Best Empirical Finance Paper, Western Finance Association Meeting, 2011.
- Winner, Korea Investment & Securities Co., Ltd. Outstanding Paper Award, Sixth International Conference on Asia-Pacifice Financial Markets, 2011.
- "Investor Abilities and Financial Contracting: Evidence from Venture Capital,"
with Ola Bengtsson. Journal of Financial Intermediation (October 2011), Vol. 20 (Issue 4), 477-502
- "Club Deals in Leveraged Buyouts,"
with Micah Officer and Oguzhan Ozbas. Journal of Financial Economics (November 2010), Vol. 98 (Issue 2), 214-240
- "Costly External Finance, Corporate Investment, and the Subprime Mortgage Credit Crisis,"
with Ran Duchin and Oguzhan Ozbas. Journal of Financial Economics (September 2010), Vol. 97 (Issue 3), 418-435
- "Performance Evaluation and Self-Designated Benchmark Indexes in the Mutual Fund Industry,"
Journal of Financial Economics (April 2009), Vol. 92 (Issue 1), 25-39
- "Should Investors Bet on the Jockey or the Horse? Evidence from the Evolution of Firms from Early Business Plans to Public Companies,"
with Steve Kaplan and Per Strömberg. Journal of Finance (February 2009), Vol. 64 (Issue 1), 75-115
- Finalist for the Brattle Prize for best corporate finance paper published in the Journal of Finance in 2009.