I am pretty sure this is cheating, but this a partial repeat blog post from my internship last summer. However it is the new and improved version! Since I am working for Accenture again this summer a lot of the material isn’t completely new and foreign especially when it comes to the structure of the company.
Accenture is the largest consulting firm in the world with more than 225,000 employees in 120 countries. With that many employees, the resources and opportunities are enormous! If you are interested in more key facts and information about Accenture visit: http://www.accenture.com/us-en/company/overview/Pages/index.aspx
Traditionally when you are hired into Accenture, you are hired for a specific platform with a “specialization” in an operation. This matrix structure is often referred to as the “Major/Minor System”:
Accenture has three platforms (Majors):
• Management Consulting– focused on business solutions, processes, and change management
• Technology-brings together the full range of systems integration, technology consulting, and IT outsourcing skills (technology resource/development)
• Business Process Outsourcing(BPO)- focuses on BPO services to enable high performance (Procurement, HR, Accenture’s five operating groups (Minors) cover 19 industries.
Accenture Career Matrix
• Communications & High Tech: Communications, Electronics, Media and Entertainment
• Financial Services: Banking, Capital Markets, Insurance
• Products: Automotive, Air, Freight & Travel Services, Consumer Goods & Services, Industrial Equipment, Infrastructure & Transportation Services, Life Sciences, Retail
• Resources: Chemicals, Energy, Natural Resources, Utilities
• Health & Public Service: Health, Public Service
Last summer I was a part of the Business Process Outsourcing and work internally. I sent surveys to supplier and buyers as well as worked with new hires in training.
This summer I have a completely different experience. I am in the Systems Integration Consulting which is part of the Technology major. My minor is with Financial Services as my client is an insurance and risk management firm. My eventual goal is to work in management consulting in either the financial services sector or in products.
Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or would like more detail!
Until next time,