Grand Rapids Trip

Now that I’m in my second to last week at my internship, I’ve been working diligently on my presentation.  I will be presenting to executives in Grand Rapids next week, and then my internship is officially over!  I wanted to share about my recent trip to Grand Rapids a few weeks ago, where all the interns got together to practice our presentations and gain feedback from each other.  My day started off early, leaving by 7:00 a.m. to go to the Columbus airport.  I waited for a few hours, only to find out that both my flights were cancelled and there were no other flights to Grand Rapids for the rest of the day.  I met up with the other Ohio State interns in the airport, and after some brainstorming and last-minute arrangements by the college relations team, we were able to all take a rental van and drive!  This was such a fun experience getting to know the other interns from Ohio State during a five-hour road trip.

We stopped for dinner in Lowell, Michigan, at a cute restaurant by a river.  There was an outdoor concert, and lots of people gathered for a festival nearby.  We met with some of the interns from different regions for dinner, and then all headed back to the hotel to get some sleep before our busy day.  The next morning, we started off with a tour of Meijer’s Heritage Center.  The Heritage Center tells the history of the company and includes 12 exhibit stations.  It was incredible to hear that Lena Meijer, the daughter in law of the founder, Hendrik, celebrated her 100th birthday this year!  It was very interesting to be able to learn more about Meijer’s founding, and I’m thankful to work for a company that values its history.

Next, we listened to a speaker discuss some presentation skills and how to best prepare our presentations.  What stuck out to me the most during this training was how your body language makes a huge impact on how your audience perceives you and your presentation.  It’s not just the words from your mouth–it’s your delivery that matters!  We ate lunch, and then finished the day by breaking off into groups of about ten interns, with a Meijer employee to give us feedback on our presentations.  I thought this was very useful to be able to practice my presentation with other interns, since we were able to give each other feedback and help each other grow through this experience.  We also were in random groups, so we were able to learn about the experiences of interns from other business functions, too.  I left that day with the confidence to come back next week and kill my presentation!