Introduction, Moving, and Adulting

Hi everyone! My name is Audrey, and I’m an incoming senior at OSU majoring in Operations Management. This summer, I was offered an operations internship at Amazon, as an Area Manager Intern (job description here!). I was placed at their distribution center in Fall River, Massachusetts…slightly far from OSU and my hometown in Indiana. I’m super excited to start this adventure and share it with any Fisher students wanting to know the ins and outs of an internship at Amazon or just the relocation process!

My internship starts in less than a week, and I just moved in to my apartment for the summer. The move-in process was a biiiiiit of a bumpy road for me. Since Amazon is such a large company, they are able to handle all the relocation expenses for their interns. Which is great!! I scheduled a flight, will pick up a rental car at the end of this week, and was set. I left from the Dayton airport and had a layover at LaGuardia Airport in NYC before arriving in Boston. From Boston, I planned to take a bus for an hour ride to my apartment. This would’ve all worked out perfectly, until my plane was delayed in LaGuardia……..for 5 hours. UGH. Between weather issues, wind changes, a maintenance issue, and a ground-stop in Boston, I didn’t land at the Boston airport until about 10. I should’ve been there by 5:30! I tried not to stress too much, but it was so late, my bus options were scarce, and due to high demand, it was a $200 Uber ride to my apartment. So in my first big adulting issue, I did what all adults do: I called my mom I talked through options with her, she gave me a few ideas, and I made it all work! I took a shuttle bus from the airport to the South Station in Boston and picked up an Uber there, which was only $90, not $200. Still more than I’d hoped, but you do what you gotta do. By the time I got to the apartment, my landlord (who lives on the first floor) was already asleep. He’d left the back door open for me, and I hauled my 50-pound suitcase up the stairs. Not a great start to the summer, but I did it!

Today, I set out on a mission: find food! I didn’t have *any* groceries. I brought coffee and a pack of ramen, because I knew the last thing I’d want to do is walk around an unfamiliar city searching for food, starving AND not caffeinated! So after sleeping in much too late, downing my coffee, and eating ramen for lunch, I set out on a walk to the nearest grocery store. I got there in about 15 minutes….and didn’t even go in. The window said “Groceries! Cigarettes! ATM! Gifts! Some new, some old.” I then realized I had walked to a “grocery store” called Bizarro Food Mart. This is NOT what I need. So I looked up another store on my phone, another 5 minutes away and promisingly named United Grocery, and I set off. It was…slightly better. Still just a little food mart, but I needed food and nothing else was in walking distance. I walked in, got enough food to feed me for a couple days (aka, eggs and pasta), and left. On my walk back, I decided to try the convenience store a block away from my apartment, since I didn’t even have soap for the shower! As soon as I walked in, I regretted not starting with that. They had all kinds of food, bathroom supplies, cleaning stuff, etc. Why did no one tell me about convenience stores?! I grew up in a town of 6,000 people, so I get confused when there’s no Walmart. Sadly, I’m being pretty serious about that! Tomorrow I’m taking a bus to a real grocery store, so I can eat real food. Phew. Advice here: look more into stores before wasting your time going to them! Your phone does NOT know what’s best. Also, yay public transportation!

After a long day of confusion and resting from my terrible flight experience, I set out to make my first actual meal since lunch at the airport. Pasta! Thank you, United Grocery. I was all set, got it cooked, went to grab the strainer, and…..I don’t have a strainer. OH MY GOSH. Luckily I *do* have a spoon with slots, so I was able to drain my pasta and actually eat a good dinner. So far, I’d say I’m a terrible adult. But I’m learning! I’ve never lived by myself, so this is a whole new adventure. I am feeling pretty good about how I’ve handled situations. I’ve only texted/called my parents about 500 times, too, so I’m really doing great. Kidding! I think this whole adulting thing will get easier as the summer goes on. Hopefully I can survive long enough to give a little more insight on this area of Massachusetts, my responsibilities with Amazon (including how I manage to wake up at 6am all summer), and living on my own. Wish me luck for my first week working! 🙂