Coming Full Circle: Finishing up my Summer

I’ve ended my summer internship in a similar fashion to how I began: Rushing out of my room to the airport to begin my next adventure!

I successfully wrapped up my final week at Cisco! It’s been an incredible summer where I was able to develop professionally and personally as well, and I’m excited to say my internship has been extended into a remote position for the school year. During my final week, I finished up my current project in which I was creating a ‘playbook’ that outlined the offer creation process for newly hired product managers within Customer Experience.

It so happened to be that my manager was on PTO for my last week, so I navigated dealing with this lack management in a few ways. My manager and I defined what the expectations were, and I set goals. He connected me with another person on our team who would meet with me each day to discuss what I was working on and help me with my project. Since the ‘playbook’ was the only thing I had to finalize, I ended up having some free time during the work hours at my discretion. I’ve heard other students who have interned before comment that they had periods of inactivity, and this was the first time I faced this. For a few hours each day, I decided to take a course on SQL and Python. Although I’m not a computer programmer by any means, I had an interest in learning how to better utilize different programs in order to more effectively work cross functionally in my position, and this was the perfect way to do this. My advice to any student who feels bored in an internship is that you can always find something to do. Even if it’s not directly related to the company, learning a skill can help you be better for the company!

After finishing up on Friday, I packed my suitcases and flew back to Cleveland the next day. On Sunday, I packed some more of my bags and drove back down to Columbus for my Junior year. It’s been a whirl-wind, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Thank you all for following my journey in California with Cisco Systems, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. (esker.12@osu.edu)

Cheers,

Alli