Internship Experiences ft. Fellow Fisher Students

Hi Everybody! I’m super excited to bring you my next blog, in which I have 4 guest contributors who are Fisher students themselves. This blog features a diverse array of companies and industries, all in different cities, so keep reading to learn about their experiences. Hope you enjoy!

First, I’d like to introduce you to Zach Spangler, a third year studying Finance within Fisher. Most people know Zach by his sense of humor and willingness to help others, along with an energetic personality that brings everyone together. Zach took his talents to Spain this summer as a Corporate Finance and Investor Relations Summer Analyst.

Zach:

This summer, I had the incredible opportunity to intern with Carbures Europe in Madrid, Spain through Fisher’s Summer Global Internship Program. Being half-way around the world in a country where I did not speak the native language was quite daunting; however, I did not spend time dwelling on this thought. Instead, I found myself in the prime position to grow as a person, as well as a young professional, by learning from the highly successful corporate executives that I interacted with daily and by being challenged with intellectual work assignments that pushed beyond the academic classroom. Overall, this international internship exposed me to a new culture in which I was able to fully immerse myself in while gaining valuable work experience at a large European corporation.

The largest obstacle that I faced during my summer internship was not knowing the native Spanish language. Fortunately for me, everyone at the office had some level of English proficiency, but this was not sufficient in creating a warm and welcoming environment during my first week. Ultimately, this led to an opportune learning experience for me as I found myself in an unfamiliar situation. Stemming from this obstacle, my top takeaway from my internship was to continue to encourage myself to not change my personality nor work ethic due to challenges with communication amongst coworkers. Despite it being easy to quietly work on projects and keep to oneself, I learned in order to have a wholesome internship, I had to put myself in vulnerable situations by conversing and learning from coworkers from all levels of the company while continuing to display enthusiasm each day throughout the entirety of the internship.

Now, I’d like to introduce Aruni Prakash, who interned at PNC Financial Services this summer in Cincinnati as a Treasury Management Intern. Aruni studies finance and operations, and can be found on campus participating in the Honors Contract Program, OUAB, Net Impact, as well as consistently staying up to date on various public health policies.

Aruni (pictured middle), with some of her fellow co-interns.

Aruni:

Before my internship, I wish I knew: That I will have to adapt very quickly and learn new things constantly. I need to be willing to learn and face challenges constantly.

My favorite part about my internship was: How fun it was! PNC has an amazing company culture so I became close with a lot of different people and was able to volunteer, go to Reds games, and even play on the field of the Great American Ball Park!

My advice to fellow Fisher students trying to secure an internship is: Be yourself and find a company you actually want to work for. Cold email and talk to past interns to get a feel as to what kind of environment you want to work in. Company culture is everything!

My top takeaway from my internship is: Banking is EXTREMELY diverse. Always be alert and take advantage of every opportunity around you, and talk to everyone. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter how “dumb” it might sound.

The most challenging part of my internship was: Learning about my line of business and banking as a whole. It is very convoluted, but that’s exactly why it’s interesting to intern in! Every day was different.

Next, is Frank He. Frank is an information systems major from Tiffin, OH (But originally from Kunming, China). Frank interned at EduSourced, a start-up in Columbus as a business development intern. Fun fact-Freshman year, Frank and I made it onto OSU’s official Snapchat story, with a video of us singing “Umbrella” by Rihanna under an umbrella on our way to class. We got thousands of views! 

My advice to Fisher students trying to secure an internship is: Networking is the most important thing when it comes to securing an internship. GPA only matters to a certain point, after that point, you have to network your way against everyone you are competing with. Especially for big firms, networking is essential to obtaining an internship.

The story behind me securing this internship is: Be involved with organizations on campus to build the network you need when you are looking for a job. I was looking for internships for the summer and then someone in the organization I am involved in on campus informed me about the internship and I applied for it. I got the job because the guy in my organization told me about it.

Last (But certainly not least) is Rooney Mantena. Rooney is a marketing and economics student in Fisher. You might find her on campus drinking coffee in Connecting Grounds, working on projects in Buckeye Undergraduate Consulting Club, or being a Columbus “Foodie” in her spare time. Rooney interned at the non-profit, Teach for America in Tulsa, Oklahoma this summer as an Operations Associate. 

Pictured above is Rooney (second to left) with her cointerns

Rooney:

My favorite part about my internship was: Definitely the team of people I was working with. Everyone at Teach for America was so kind and willing to go above and beyond to support the development of each other and our intern class. I have never been a part of a team that was as willing to do whatever it took to meet an end goal or was as open to two-way communication as I was this summer. I learned a lot about “managing up” and how to bring up my own ideas in a way that was productive rather than detrimental to my working relationship with my manager. I learned about when to push my own ideas and when to take critical feedback on them to make them better, and I ended up getting two of my own projects pushed through throughout the summer as a result which was awesome!

My advice to Fisher students trying to secure a summer internship is: Yes, platforms like Handshake and attending the career fair are definitely important to check out when trying to obtain an internship. However, especially when you’re an underclassmen (freshman or sophomore) trying to get that role, I would definitely recommend going above and beyond to try and network and reach out to companies on your own too. Ask your parents, friends, coworkers, professors, or mentors about opportunities you may be interested in because you never know what could turn up! Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to recruiters/people who work at those companies yourself. I got my internship by reaching out to the TFA recruiter on campus directly and setting up some time to grab coffee. Taking initiative in the recruiting process can go a long way, so don’t underestimate the importance of trying on your own.

A very special thanks to Zach, Aruni, Frank, and Rooney for contributing to this blog.

Hope you all enjoyed it!

Alli