Follow My Day @ Cisco!

Hello everybody!

Now that I’ve had a few weeks to adjust to my internship, I wanted to share what an average day on the job at Cisco is like!

7:00am: My alarm wakes me up. I begin getting ready for the day in my apartment. Once ready, I pack up my bag and take the 10 minute walk to Building I on Cisco’s campus. The weather is always nice so walking to the office is a great way to start my day.

8:30: I arrive to the office and go straight to my manager’s room. We touch base and talk about how I’m doing with my current projects, and we catch up with everything Cisco and Non-Cisco related. I’m grateful to have a manager who is very receptive to all of my questions, and invested in my personal development. He answers all of the questions I have and always reminds me to have fun!

9:00: By now I usually meet with the other intern I work with. We touch base with our projects, and also chat about our lives. We love to recommend different music to each other, fun things to do in the area, and also engage in deeper dialogue about economic and political matters. Speaking of fun things to do, I really enjoyed my visit to Alviso Marina County Park, which is only a few miles north of Cisco’s campus. It’s makes for a perfect spontaneous nature walk.

10:00: Now that I’ve been hashing through my own work for an hour, It’s time for a coffee break! My building has its own personal coffee machine, capable of making mochas, lattes, cappuccinos, or anything else you can imagine! I can always meet more employees at this hot spot to network. My personal favorite is the latte macchiato; it’s the perfect mid-morning pick me up to help me stay focused for a few more hours.

10:15: Back to my work! So what exactly is my work? From day one, my manager took time to ask me what I’d like to accomplish during my internship. I told him I wanted to work with data, work with people, and solve problems. He assigned me to take “full ownership” of the SKU mapping project. On the first day, this was slightly intimidating, but more so I felt as though my manager was showing his support of me and my ability to produce. At a high level view, most of my work has been centered around optimizing and mapping older SKUs to the new platform in Cisco’s Business Critical Services. This requires me to do my own research of the SKUs life, and also reach out to other employees in Advanced Services for their assistance.

12:30: Every other Thursday this summer, Cisco holds a “Party on the Patio.” This is an afternoon event that brings employees from all across campus together for a festival. This Thursday’s theme was Carnival, and included games, food, and music. It was fun to get outside for a bit and hang out with some other interns!

1:30: Back to work! I usually touch base with my manager again, and keep working. Usually in the afternoon is when three interns on my floor and I like to meet up in our favorite room called “Tahiti”. We found this room a few weeks into our internship and have been obsessed ever since. We love this room because it’s a corner room, so two of its sides are windows, allowing for a well-lit work space. The room also has no traditional desks, but has a large couch and several comfy chairs. It’s the best place to go to collaborate and maybe even take a quick power nap.

3:30: Snack time! A perk at Cisco is the plethora of snacks in the office. We have two drawers filled with candy, granola bars, and trail mixes. When the afternoon slump hits, taking a walk over to the snack drawers is the best solution!

5:00: It didn’t take long for some employees to take advantage of the fact that I’m a certified yoga instructor-and I don’t mind! Usually an employee or two will come seek me out towards the end of the day for a quick session of yoga. Years of corporate work can take its toll on the body, so I spend a few minutes working with them, providing them movement and breathing exercises to help their minds and bodies. Pictured below is my hand doing a substitute version of the Vishnu Mudra (because my fingers can’t do the actual Mudra, lol). This mudra, or hand gesture, is used for an alternate nostril breathing exercise that I did with an employee (in Tahiti of course!)

5:30: I wrap up the rest of my work, and head back to my apartment. If needed, I can access everything from my laptop at the apartment with a VPN. I may open up my laptop later in case I need to check my email or work a little more.

There you go, I hope you enjoyed this “Day in the Life” post as much as I enjoyed writing it! Stay tuned for future posts regarding things to do in San Jose, exploring the surrounding areas, and perks at Cisco!

Best,

Alli