The Internship Road-map for Those Without Direction

During the academic year, finding an internship was one task amongst the hundreds thrown my way. The internship search became more than settling for a nine-to-five position. It became finding a field where I could see a future. Between projects, jobs, extracurricular activities, and life, I found myself searching “Top 10 internships” and “Best companies to intern for” on a weekly basis. What I struggled with during this search was having no idea what my dream role was. Marketing? Sales? Consulting?

The truth behind this madness is that it is okay to not know. Sometimes you have to dip your toes into the corporate water to discover what you’re passionate about. Throughout my college experience, I have interned as a non-profit management, a marketing, and a sales position. I believe that the best way to discover your path is to enter into an internship, even for a company you know little about. This is exactly how my journey with Reynolds & Reynolds began.

I started applying to internships during November of my junior year. I took the mass applications approach when applying, but I do not recommend this. I soon became frustrated with the fact that I was getting zero responses from companies even though I was putting hours into applications. During winter break in December I took this time to thoroughly investigate companies, and I soon discovered Reynolds on Ohio State’s database. A huge reason why I decided to apply to Reynolds is because my marketing professor told my class that business-to-business sales is a fantastic (but often overlooked) field to enter. Trusting his advice and positive GlassDoor Reynolds reviews, I applied.

For the struggling student seeking an internship, I offer this:

1. Take the time to think about what types of companies you’re interested in. If you don’t, you will waste a lot of energy typing half-hearted applications.
  2. Consider business-to-business. Many college-aged students overlook this gigantic opportunity.
  3. Reach out to alum in companies you like through LinkedIn. Set up a coffee chat!
  4. Ohio State gives you the tools to succeed.