Preparing (and packing) for my Internship!

Hi everyone! My name is Marie Klein and I am going into my senior year at The Ohio State University. I am majoring in International Business and Marketing. I can’t believe I only have one year left at the best school in the world; time sure did fly these past three years. That being said, this summer I will be interning with Quicken Loans in Detroit! I am very excited to start my internship and cannot wait for the amazing experience that it will be. However, before I get there, I need to pack up my life and move to Detroit for the summer!

To give you a little background about myself, I was born and raised in Akron, about twenty minutes south of Cleveland. Fun fact: I live about five minutes away from Lebron! These past few weeks have been a little crazy, and I feel like I’ve been living in a bunch of different places. After this past semester ended, my parents helped me pack up my stuff and move out of my apartment in Columbus for the summer. I won’t be back in Columbus til August when school starts, so it was bitter sweet saying goodbye to campus for almost four months. I had a few days of down time, but spent most of them packing because a few days after my last final I left for my trip to Europe! I went on a study abroad trip through Fisher, and it was definitely the trip of a lifetime. We stayed in northern Italy, visiting Venice, Padua, Verona, Turin, Milan, and a few of the Venetian islands. After only a week, we came back home and luckily my body adjusted very quickly to the time change. There are a lot of study abroad programs that conflict with summer internships, but luckily mine didn’t, so starting my internship on time wasn’t an issue. Because of all of the traveling, I didn’t even bother to unpack when I came home from school because I knew I was just going to have to pack againĀ for Michigan!

I always dread packing because I am a very organized person by nature and moving places makes me feel like I have no idea where anything is! I normally wait until the last few days before I’m about to leave before I actually start to pack so that way I don’t have to keep unpacking things that I need to use before I leave. Before packing, however, I made sure to mentally prepare myself for my internship and for working full time for the next three months! Quicken Loans sent its interns cute little packages with souvenirs and other fun things in the months leading up to our internships, as well as booklets about the company, so I made sure to read through the booklets and absorb the information. Each time I got a package it made me even more excited for the summer! I feel as though I did a pretty good job of preparing myself, but I guess we’ll find out šŸ™‚

Now, on to the not-so-fun part: packing. My mom is also a very organized person, so every time she thought of something I would need she wrote it down. Between my mom’s list and my own list of things I’ll need, hopefully we won’t forget anything! I am planning on bringing everything I brought with me when I lived in a dorm my freshman and sophomore year. To give you an idea, some of the main things that IĀ packed were clothes (business clothes, as well as workout stuff), bed sheets and pillows, all of my bathroom stuff, shoes, makeup, hair stuff, my backpack, planner, laptop, iPad, phone, and other electronic devices. If you think you might need it, it’s always better to pack it so you have it just in case! Packing only took a few hours, so it really wasn’t bad.

Now on to the next step: moving to Detroit! I have never lived in another state before, so this will be a completely new adventure for me. I’m looking forward to starting my internship very soon and can’t wait to share more about it with you!