Written by Undergraduate Career Consultant, Jennifer Burns
Congrats! You’ve finished all of your exams, you’re officially done with Fall semester, and you’re about to head home for a month of not thinking about school.
At first you’re probably relishing in all the time you have to do nothing but sleep in, see friends and family, and eat as many Christmas cookies as you want without worrying about any homework, exams, or papers.
So what can you do to pass the time? Take advantage of your time off with some of the ideas below:
- Winter break is the perfect time to set up a job shadow or informational interview with someone in your home town. You have lots free time during the work week and this is a great way to learn more about a specific company, role, or career path you are interested in. Use your personal network, LinkedIn, or AlumniFire to connect with professionals near you.
- Haven’t become QUIC yet? There are a lot of QUIC interview openings available right now on FisherConnect and you can get a head start on prepping for your interview. The QUIC interview is a great way to practice your interviewing skills and get 1-on-1 feedback from a Career Consultant. Make sure you’ve made a profile on FisherConnect and have completed the QUIC modules before signing up!
- Take advantage of those awesome after-Christmas sales and purchase a suit. That way you’re ready the next time you need to be in business professional attire for an interview! (bonus tip: you will need to wear a suit for you QUIC interview too!)
- Still looking for an internship or full-time opportunity? Start prepping for the Career Fair coming up on February, 6th by downloading the OSU CareerFairPlus app, doing some preliminary company research, working on your elevator pitch, and making sure your resume is up to date. Starting preparation for the Career Fair early will help keep stress to a minimum when you are well into your spring semester classes and getting ready to attend the fair.
- Did you recently receive or accept an internship or full-time offer? Upload it to FCDC (Fisher Career Data Central) and look at the salary data to compare your offer to what your peers have been offered.
- Trying to make a decision between multiple job offers you have received? Review the evaluating and negotiating job offers resource available on the OCM webpage, or make an appointment with a Career Consultant to discuss what you are thinking. (bonus tip: there are appointments with Career Consultants available to you over the break, either in person or over the phone!)
Enjoy your time away from school, relax, and spend lots of time with family and friends. But don’t forget to take advantage of all your time off!