What I’ve Learned in My First Week

Last Monday, I began my internship as a Brand Marketing intern at PepsiCo’s Frito-Lay division in Plano, Texas. Although I’m in a new city where I don’t know many people and this is my first corporate internship experience, I’ve already learned so much! Here are a few things I’ve taken away from my first week:

Ask Questions

Whether it’s about your project, a company method, the culture or the building, never be afraid to ask questions. It’s always better to ask and know than to guess and be wrong. Especially with your project, it’s better to ask than to go down the wrong path and learn you’re incorrect too late. People are willing to help and they expect you not to know everything, so just ask!

Make Connections

During the first week, there’s not too much to do. It’s mostly getting to explore your project before diving in. Use this time to get to know your manager, other people in your department and your fellow interns. All the connections you make during your first couple of weeks will benefit you! The people you get to know can serve as mentors, help you through your project or even just be a listening ear when things get hard.

Make a schedule

Use both the week before your internship starts and the first week to make a schedule for yourself! Practice waking up on time and going to bed earlier before it’s necessary for you to do so. This way, your body will be used to the changes and you’ll be full of energy when it’s necessary for you to be! The last thing you need is to be half asleep by 1pm.

Have fun!

Internships are a new experience! Make sure you’re taking advantage of your short time there and actually enjoy yourself. Go to lunch with the other interns and plan outings outside of work. You’re all in the same situation, so getting to know them will help you to build relationships to make it through!

Bria Mosley

Bria Mosley is a Fisher Marketing major graduating in May, 2018. She is a Brand Marketing Intern at PepsiCo – Frito-Lay in Plano, Texas.