A Day in the Life: Summer Intern Edition

As a college student, you have quite a bit of flexibility in planning your day. Attend class, go to student organization meetings, work on group projects, and maybe hit the gym in between.

In the workplace, however, it takes a little more planning to schedule all your work in an 8-5 frame. Here is how a typical day looks at my summer internship at Cardinal Health:

8:00 a.m. – Arrive at work and get my laptop running. I spend 20-30 minutes reading emails, checking my calendar for the day, and reading any updates on the company website.

8:30-10:30 – Work independently at my desk and chip away at my summer project.

10:30 – Break time! To avoid the mid-morning slump, I like to get up and walk around for a few minutes to stay alert.

11:00-12:00 – Intern Mentor meeting. At Cardinal Health, each intern is paired with a full-time employee as their mentor. Our biweekly meetings are casual chats over coffee and a great opportunity to ask questions about the company.

12:00-1:00 p.m. – Lunch break. A group of interns usually forms in the cafeteria, which makes lunch a fun time to meet other people from various functions and schools.

1:00-2:00 p.m. – Return to my desk and keep working on various projects.

2:00-2:30 p.m. – Intern Committee meeting. I chose to join the Networking Intern Committee, which holds weekly meetings to plan networking events for other interns and employees.

2:30-3:30 p.m. – Meeting with my manager. To make sure I am staying on track, I schedule regular meetings to go over my project and get any questions answered.

3:30-5:00 p.m. – Finish up some final work and head home!

Kate Garrett

Kate Garrett is a Fisher Accounting major graduating in May, 2018. She is a Business Support Intern at Cardinal Health in Columbus, Ohio.